XMP on Intel I7-8700 (non K)

Hi everyone, i have a question regarding XMP settings, when turned on, it changes a bunch of stuff (my memory runs at 2100 mhz when turned off, and up to 3000 mhz when turned on), basically i read in a bunch of sites that i should turn the BCLK back to 100.000 (the XMP profile increases it to 102) and that i should also go to cpu frequency settings which were adjusted by switching on xmp - change these back to auto, but i also read that everything is done for a reason and its fine, and now im confused.

What am i supposed to do if i want to ran my RAM at 3000 mhz? also should it ran at 3000 mhz? (Because i read somewhere that non K processors should only go as high as 2666) Thanks!

CPU: I7-8700

RAM: Ballistix Elite DDR4-3000 16GB

23 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

Because i read somewhere that non K processors should only go as high as 2666

B360, H370 etc. Will cap at 2666. Z370 or Z390 will allow uncapped ram speed.

Some cheap motherboards will break the rules but those are the exceptions.

As for using XMP, just enable it. If you run into stability problems you can look for other ways to get ram speeds up, but it's pretty convenient and works the majority of the time.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

B360, H370 etc. Will cap at 2666. Z370 or Z390 will allow uncapped ram speed.

Some cheap motherboards will break the rules but those are the exceptions.

As for using XMP, just enable it. If you run into stability problems you can look for other ways to get ram speeds up, but it's pretty convenient and works the majority of the time.

but breaking the rules is , well breaking the rules meaning it is doing something that is not supposed to do, so the fact that my z3z0 allows for higher ram speed doesn't mean that i should allow it right? or nah?

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

If it works, use it.

I wouldn't complain - Intel's chipset rules are stupid.

what kind of stability issues could i see in case it doesn't? 

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Weird errors and crashes.

If it isn't stable, try dialing it back to 3000 or 2933 MHz.

it is a 3000 mhz ram memory, thats the max mhz, but you're suggesting to decrease the mhz (2933,28xx,27xx,etc) in case of problems? and the voltages and CAS? should i touch that too?

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I'm not an expert on memory, sorry, so I don't know :(

okay, no problem ;) still thanks for the help

18 minutes ago, Rathnhake said:

but breaking the rules is , well breaking the rules meaning it is doing something that is not supposed to do, so the fact that my z3z0 allows for higher ram speed doesn't mean that i should allow it right? or nah?

The rules I mean are the slower speeds on H370 motherboard and stuff. Some H370 or B360 motherboards will allow the high ram speeds even though Intel doesn't want them.

But 3000MHz on Intel CPUs is fine in and of itself.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Enable XMP and than download run Prime95 version 26.6 you want this one so that it doesn't hammer your CPU into oblivion select the test blend when it asks you what test you want to run. To test the memory to make sure it is stable I would let it run for at least 8 hours. This may not be all that necessary but I am a major advocate of being overly sure an overclock is stable. A lot of people forget that XMP is an overclock and anything beyond the CPU's supported memory speed is an overclock.  With all that being said you should have a nice stable RAM overclock that may improve performace by a bit

56 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

The rules I mean are the slower speeds on H370 motherboard and stuff. Some H370 or B360 motherboards will allow the high ram speeds even though Intel doesn't want them.

But 3000MHz on Intel CPUs is fine in and of itself.

okay, thanks

9 minutes ago, OC-Destroyer said:

Enable XMP and than download run Prime95 version 26.6 you want this one so that it doesn't hammer your CPU into oblivion select the test blend when it asks you what test you want to run. To test the memory to make sure it is stable I would let it run for at least 8 hours. This may not be all that necessary but I am a major advocate of being overly sure an overclock is stable. A lot of people forget that XMP is an overclock and anything beyond the CPU's supported memory speed is an overclock.  With all that being said you should have a nice stable RAM overclock that may improve performace by a bit

great, thanks for the tools names, i'll do the tests tomorrow and see how it goes, although i was told that the difference between 2133 and 3000 is pretty big, is that correct?