Usb 3 motherboard header issue

Dmoseder

Hey guys,  building my new setup today I ran into a issue with the motherboard.   The USB 3 header cable would not come out of the motherboard no matter what.  After about 30 mins of carefully trying to do it, the entire square came off with it and the pins.   I actually had to use pliers to then get rectangle cover off the case connector.   Man it wouldn’t come off.  Is there a trick?

Anyway, after the cover came off, they never worked.  I’m going to attach pictures so you Guys can see it, and give me any advice.   It would suck to have to RMA the motherboard because of this.   

Case:  Lian Li o11 xl dynamic

mothetboard:  Asus Strix x570-E

F0B59696-68EB-474A-A580-E288A5AD529D.jpeg

5DE7159A-5C5D-4093-B644-9C4B52ECD1E2.jpeg

CB4354C7-BC00-4FEB-9374-36E38D753EAE.jpeg

92431978-1811-4254-B2E3-ADCC01CF8B89.jpeg

I can’t even figure out what “the rectangle” is.    All I’m see is a set of seemingly normal pins. This is the u32g1 bit, correct? I do notice that one pin sticks out more than the others.  If the pins were not soldered pads and went through to lower layers of the pcb it could have been pulled apart.  I suspect RMA is not only the best move it may be the only move and it may not work.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Encountered something similar, just without force or using pliers. The whole plastic "socket" came off without resistance when the USB3 cable of the case was pulled. 

• 3 weeks later...

The same thing has happened to me today, 24th January 2021. Its new board whic I was building a new system with. It looks like its an issue with the asus X570 MB. The TUF G501 case connector was a tight fit. Icant get the MB Socket off the case usb3 cable.

Did you have any look in fixing the issue, Bombastinator or Did you RMA the MB?

20210124_131534.jpg

20210124_131600.jpg

On 1/3/2021 at 3:04 PM, JackRyanCH said:

Encountered something similar, just without force or using pliers. The whole plastic "socket" came off without resistance when the USB3 cable of the case was pulled. 

Ouch.  That sounds very much like a “somebody forgot to solder something” issue.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

34 minutes ago, knoctunal said:

The same thing has happened to me today, 24th January 2021. Its new board whic I was building a new system with. It looks like its an issue with the asus X570 MB. The TUF G501 case connector was a tight fit. Icant get the MB Socket off the case usb3 cable.

Did you have any look in fixing the issue, Bombastinator or Did you RMA the MB?

20210124_131534.jpg

20210124_131600.jpg

I’m not the OP.  I’m just a bored dude who answers questions no one else is interested in.

1 minute ago, knoctunal said:

It would probably work best if you made a separate trouble shooting post about your problem.  Appending something to a three week old post often means no one sees it.  

Thx. I 'll post a new thread later. I going to continue building the new system  with the to setting up all the parts are in place and swap the motherboard out for new on RMA.

Not to sure what the policy is on RMA items. ie if I go to the supplier or the seller!.

51 minutes ago, knoctunal said:

Thx. I 'll post a new thread later. I going to continue building the new system  with the to setting up all the parts are in place and swap the motherboard out for new on RMA.

Not to sure what the policy is on RMA items. ie if I go to the supplier or the seller!.

RMA is often manufacturer.  Don’t be surprised if you get your old board back again.  The major purpose of RMA is making sure a part is known good.  Checking an individual video card or motherboard or PSU for problems often requires extensive equipment and knowledge no one but the manufacturer has.  Some companies will just reflexively send out a new product and check the old one later as it is sometimes easier or cheaper, but it is at best random.

Edited by Bombastinator

ok Thx for the input. I have only recently bought  the MB on the 19th Dec 2020 and have just got round putting it together, I am going to try returning it to the seller first and see what they say and if they will replace it. if not back to the manufactuer and hope they will fix the board.

only downside is I will have to wait for themn to repair it.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up moving the pin straight again a couple of times, took awhile but i pushed all the pins back through the plastic shield, a low profile adapter to go into the case USB connector, and it ended up working luckily.   Hopefully I don't have to take it back off again lol.

Good Idea getting a low Profile  adapter. I may buy one and installing on the new board I get so hoping this issue wont happen again. The boards is good strix board just a stupid connection issue where the connector is too tight.

The old board which I return to the seller, they fix that board and sold it on , dropping £20 off the original price. the board still worked.