iSCSI NAS for gaming

Pteroduck

Hi everyone! New to the forums!

I was watching one of linus's videos and he mentioned an iSCSI NAS that he could play games from

I was curious on how he set that up and if i could do the same.

My network is moderately fast i believe so i could support it.
I did some research on the topic and windows 7 comes with an application called iSCSI iniator, but after that, I cant get my main computer to get connected to that. Can someone help me through the whole process? Sorry for being such a noob :lol:

oh and i forgot to mention, both PC's are running windows 7

I was watching one of linus's videos and he mentioned an iSCSI NAS that he could play games from

I did some research on the topic and windows 7 comes with an application called iSCSI iniator, but after that, I cant get my main computer to get connected to that. Can someone help me through the whole process? Sorry for being such a noob :lol:

I think one of the systems has to be an actual NAS, but I don't think it would be smart to play the same games on different systems, because you'll lose your settings and stuff

I wouldn't bother, as chicksoup said before, they are suppose to be used with NASs. I would just throw in 3TBX2/3 drives into your computer, you experience will be seamless and without problems. 

Also,  I'm pretty sure Linus is on a 10GB network. 

I also 100% guarantee you're using a 1gb network. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

@X1XNobleX1X @Pteroduck

iSCSI over gigabit is fast and though I personally haven't played games over it, I do know it can easy  surpass the speed of a regular hard drive.  Sure it tops out at 100MB/s, but key is the latency is still low.

This is the speed measured with a ram-disk drive on the network
post-7162-0-01612500-1394994922.jpg

in comparison, This is a WD 160GB vraptor on local computer

post-7162-0-48075800-1394996150.jpg

But also know the drawbacks of iSCSI.  As @chicketsoup said, there are issues with sharring.  It's "like" a sata cable over the network, and it's not "share-able" (unless you have a clustering file system set up).  Only one computer connecting writing to it will cause data curruption.  Multiple read-only ok.

There's a lots of tutorials out there, but if you're interested in playing around with it (and have windows)  I recommend the free Starwind iSCSI server to get a grasp of it's workings.

My Rigs (past and present)

Could you link the video so we have more information on the NAS itself?

iSCSI is really useful if your NAS has RAID configured, so all your files will be better protected. Of course, if your network goes down you won't be able to use it.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

@X1XNobleX1X

iSCSI over gigabit is fast and though I personally haven't played games over it, I do know it can easy  surpass the speed of a regular hard drive.  Sure it tops out at 100MB/s, but key is the latency is still low.

attachicon.gifiSCSI_Ramdisk_gigabit.JPG

attachicon.gifCDM_WD_VRAPTOR_160GB_t1.JPG

But also know the drawbacks of iSCSI.  As @chicketsoup said, there are issues with sharring.  It's "like" a sata cable over the network, and it's not "share-able" (unless you have a clustering file system set up).  Only one computer connecting writing to it will cause data curruption.  Multiple read-only ok.

There's a lots of tutorials out there, but if you're interested in playing around with it (and have windows)  I recommend the free Starwind iSCSI server to get a grasp of it's workings.

I saw starwind but I lack a corporate email so I cant download it unless there is a workaround?

I wouldn't bother, as chicksoup said before, they are suppose to be used with NASs. I would just throw in 3TBX2/3 drives into your computer, you experience will be seamless and without problems. 

Also,  I'm pretty sure Linus is on a 10GB network. 

I also 100% guarantee you're using a 1gb network. 

I dont have much experience with NAS's so I'm not sure how that would work out for me

Could you link the video so we have more information on the NAS itself?

iSCSI is really useful if your NAS has RAID configured, so all your files will be better protected. Of course, if your network goes down you won't be able to use it.

Do you mean Linus's video? He briefly mentioned it in one of his recent videos featuring a case unboxing.

I saw starwind but I lack a corporate email so I cant download it unless there is a workaround?

hrm... do you have anything that doesn't end in gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc... ? 

hrm... do you have anything that doesn't end in gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc... ? 

Not exactly... :(

i can play games from my NAS over iSCSI, but it definitely requires hardware such as, gigabit networking, a decent NAS setup, and knowledge of networking and how to setup iSCSI. For most people it's way more trouble than its worth and you might as well just buy some extra hard drives and put them in your computer.

Edit: Unless you can afford to spend hundreds of dollars(at least) on a NAS, and learn about advanced networking that's generally only used in enterprise setups, its not really worth it.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

Are there any good and detailed guides on the process that someone can link me to?

Are there any good and detailed guides on the process that someone can link me to?

What version do you have?

in a nutshell:

serverside (target)

-create target (call it anything)

-create device (image file)

-assign the device to the target

windows

-find the server/target (use IP address)

-connect to target(s) 

MORE DETAILS BELOW

This video from 0:40 - 4:00 does a basic setup (ignore the clustering option) when creating target for now.

In Window 7 iSCSI, you basically :

1: start ==> type: iscsi ==> run the iscsi  (or follow instruction to get it working)  .  Allow it to start/connect up everytime if prompted

2: to go DISCOVERY tab ==> DISCOVER Portal ==> type in IP address of the server/target ==> if no error, then it's found

3: go back to TARGETS tab ==> "refresh" ==> you should see the target you created

4: choose the target and "CONNECT"

5: done.. almost.  Basically you just added a blank hard drive to your system (if it had never been used before).

an example:  (sorry it's a bit disorganized... just threw it together.  Might do a tutorial if people here interested)

SERVER SIDE [Target] - One TARGET with two devices created 

post-7162-0-06620900-1395025117.jpg

CLIENT SIDE [initiator] - Added One target, end up with two hard drives

post-7162-0-63092300-1395025116_thumb.jp

in a nutshell:

serverside (target)

windows

-connect to target(s) 

MORE DETAILS BELOW

This video from 0:40 - 4:00 does a basic setup (ignore the clustering option) when creating target for now.

1: start ==> type: iscsi ==> run the iscsi  (or follow instruction to get it working)  .  Allow it to start/connect up everytime if prompted

2: to go DISCOVERY tab ==> DISCOVER Portal ==> type in IP address of the server/target ==> if no error, then it's found

3: go back to TARGETS tab ==> "refresh" ==> you should see the target you created

5: done.. almost.  Basically you just added a blank hard drive to your system (if it had never been used before).

an example:  (sorry it's a bit disorganized... just threw it together.  Might do a tutorial if people here interested)

attachicon.giftarget.JPG

attachicon.gifinitiator.JPG

I have the most recent one from their website, i dont know how to check for it though.

I'll try this out and come back with results

@X1XNobleX1X @Pteroduck

attachicon.gifiSCSI_Ramdisk_gigabit.JPG

attachicon.gifCDM_WD_VRAPTOR_160GB_t1.JPG

What you're saying is actually true, the speeds of gigabit are actually very similar to what you see of a HDD. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I have a basic file server running on a pentium g3220 haswell chip, the drive was a WD green drive

i tested using borderlands 2, i mapped the hardrive on the server as a regular network hard drive, and created a steam library folder on there, i downloaded the game pointing the download at the server directory, short while later opened the game and it ran flawlessly i have tried a few other games and they work just fine, i get really smooth framerate and load times seem exactly the same

i didnt use iscsi or anything just mapped the network drive

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a basic file server running on a pentium g3220 haswell chip, the drive was a WD green drive

i tested using borderlands 2, i mapped the hardrive on the server as a regular network hard drive, and created a steam library folder on there, i downloaded the game pointing the download at the server directory, short while later opened the game and it ran flawlessly i have tried a few other games and they work just fine, i get really smooth framerate and load times seem exactly the same

Games don't generally support installing to a network drive, that is why you generally need a iscsi drive, because windows sees it as an internal hard drive.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

in a nutshell:

serverside (target)

windows

-connect to target(s) 

MORE DETAILS BELOW

attachicon.giftarget.JPG

attachicon.gifinitiator.JPG

I got to it to work kinda. Do i have to reinstall the games on the drive?

Usually, yes.

Games don't generally support installing to a network drive, that is why you generally need a iscsi drive, because windows sees it as an internal hard drive.

Yeah thats what it thought i was going to set up iscsi but i couldnt work it out, i didnt want to destroy my server as i had alot of help from my friend (who is 8 million times better than me) who set it up

from my experiance steam and origin games had no problem having their library directed at a mapped network drive

I then also went to install the game again on a second computer, once again pointing the same game installation at the mapped network drive, steam detected i already had the game installed and verified the files (took longer than it took me to download the game origionally haha) and then i could launch the game from either computer (not simultaneously i might add) and it ran perfectly from either, it even worked just fine over wifi

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Usually, yes.

Will backing it up and restoring it work instead of having to reinstall?

I'd be surprised any current games would be slowed much by a Gigabit network, even with all the overhead of standard network shares (not iscsi).. but I'll have to try it out one of these days out of curiosity.  I would prefer a non-iscsi setup since you can easily share/unshare.

Steam games can just be copied/moved to new location.  Same with Origin games.  There are some simple steps I can't remember off the top of my head. Don't  know about other games outside of these game managers.  I had Batman AC separate and it just made me re-activate at worse. 

I'd be surprised any current games would be slowed much by a Gigabit network, even with all the overhead of standard network shares (not iscsi).. but I'll have to try it out one of these days out of curiosity.  I would prefer a non-iscsi setup since you can easily share/unshare.

Steam games can just be copied/moved to new location.  Same with Origin games.  There are some simple steps I can't remember off the top of my head. Don't  know about other games outside of these game managers.  I had Batman AC separate and it just made me re-activate at worse. 

I tried it and I'm getting registry errors I believe when i try a network drive