Too many passwords!!!

Go to solution Solved by Kreations31,

At this rate, we will have passwords for our passwords.  :blink:

If getting tired of every website under the sun wanting me to make a password.  I have to make a different one for every site so as not to have my accounts taken by hackers. With so many you will lose or forget some along the way, so why does everyone want you to make one? Here are all the site I have had to make passwords for, is anyone else getting sick of it? 

Bank

Cell Phone

Cell Phone voice mail(yes its different)

Internet service providers

Department of Motor Vehicles

My jobs computer(I have to change it every 3 months!)

My 401k

For the Visa logo on my bank card(yes its own password)

League of Legends

Star Craft 2

Planetside 2

Minecraft

Perfectworld.com

Grepolis

Amazon

Thunderbird

Steam

Itunes

Youtube

Ebay

Linus Tech Tips Forums 

Pizza Hut internet ordering(yes they have that)

Thats all I can remember for now but there are more!

How long until I need a password to use the bathroom!

They want you to make one to secure your account?...

And no I'm not. If you forget just recover using your email? Also I just use different passwords for important accounts. The rest just use one common long passphrase.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

I know the feel. All of my passwords relate to what the service is though, and is then followed by a random string of words and numbers. 

wat is your point? just write them down on a paper old school never dies :)

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

I do use LastPass, but I have been spinning the idea to go back old-school.

If anything, you can have a pass-protected excel sheet for you commonly used passwords, and old school your important, less-used passwords.

wat is your point? just write them down on a paper old school never dies :)

So if I lose the paper or someone robs my house and finds it then what?

damn you are just paranoid. encrypt your hdd setup a router firewall then ad a firewall to the os then you are safe. and ssl is safe so dont worry about it.

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Well then why don't you just select the "remember my password" option?

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

It's called a safe.

Edit: Or a safety deposit box of a backup ever so often.

My point is with so many wanting there own passwords it opens up security holes. Some will use to easy pass words some will use the same all around, others will lose them have have to change them over and over. At some point you will have a problem, I just wanted to see if anyone other than me has see this or has the same problem with it. 

My point is with so many wanting there own passwords it opens up security holes. Some will use to easy pass words some will use the same all around, others will lose them have have to change them over and over. At some point you will have a problem, I just wanted to see if anyone other than me has see this or has the same problem with it. 

A passphrase is the easiest to remember and most secure password. Like "ThePizzaG0DHasACar" is pretty secure and easy to remember. And yes while I get to you it's annoying, you're doing more work than necessary. Just use a different passphrase for the most important account and a common passphrase for less important ones.

It's called a safe.

Edit: Or a safety deposit box of a backup ever so often.

So I keep them in a safe that is the first thing that a robber will go after, and they are very expensive, or I have to drive down town to a bank that has safety deposit boxes every time I forget my passwords.

i work @ server hosting company i have 30 passwords on my encrypted usb stick :)

I just rate my passwords on how much I care about the account.  LTT forums doesn't hold any info, so im pretty loose on that, itunes uses a fake name and I dont have any payment info attached to it, so its pretty slack to.  I just use the same password for all low loss websites.  Makes it easier.  Then for the bank+steam ect where I have money sitting around, they have completely different really secure passwords.

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

use the good old paper and think of a system to integrate the words into a text. that works well for me, since i live in a spanish speaking country so i just made it on german and robbers wouldnt know what is going on :P

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

i work @ server hosting company i have 30 passwords on my encrypted usb stick :)

Wow that is overkill guess mine is not so bad after all.

damn you are just paranoid. encrypt your hdd setup a router firewall then ad a firewall to the os then you are safe. and ssl is safe so dont worry about it.

I personally wouldn't go the "old school" route, as this may seem paranoid, it's much safer to have your passwords written down electronically. The only way the old school way would work would be if you had a safe to put your written down passwords in.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

So I keep them in a safe that is the first thing that a robber will go after, and they are very expensive, or I have to drive down town to a bank that has safety deposit boxes every time I forget my passwords.

If you think a safe is "very expensive", you must think your passwords/data aren't worth very much.

It is up to you how much you think your passwords are worth and how far you will go to protect them.

I keep my passwords written. Yes, I do. it's simple. Say, if my ATM's Secret Pin is ....4583. I keep it written in the form of a date.

ex: 04/05/1883

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Well then why don't you just select the "remember my password" option?

Google chrome saves them on your pc so if it get stolen  :(

I assume you have a laptop then. #DesktopMasterRace

Google Chrome makes this easier for me. Yes, obviously having Chrome remember my passwords for me is somewhat insecure, but hey, that requires me to be stupid and let someone access my computer. 

LastPass and KeePass are good Password Vaults. 

I just make my passwords sentences. Literally. Example of an old password I used to use: "IT work is fun and interesting." 

You might say that's too long, but honestly, length >>> special characters. Plus, it has English writing conventions, which both add to the complexity of the password and make it easier to remember. I went to English class and now I have a legitimate use for what I learned.

Then you just write one for each thing based on the service it offers.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

firefox has an option when you remember your passwords you can place a browser master password when opening it.

I know the feel. All of my passwords relate to what the service is though, and is then followed by a random string of words and numbers. 

That's actually a really good idea. My password is pretty nuts, but I have it memorized by muscle memory and it usually has the same sequence. The issue is that I skewed each one ever so slightly, that I found myself in password recovery way too many times. :P

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Don't write things like:

Facebook - [password]

LTT Forum - [password]

Make a letter key that only you know like:

A - [password]

B - [password]

Kensington Locks...

And they can't get your passwords in Chrome if your computer is locked... Think about that?

[EDIT] Also... They don't know your usernames if you write them down

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness