Does it matter what kind of Wifi I use in the ASUS AiMesh?

amsga
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
3 hours ago, amsga said:

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the ASUS AiMesh concept?

Currently, there is a promotion by my ISP to bundle the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC2900.

I was thinking of adding a second router to extend the network at my place due to concrete walls everywhere.

The ASUS RT-AC86U cost around 300 where I live and the ASUS RT-AX58U cost around 240.

I do not know if the networks can mix being one from WIFI 6 and another from WIFI 5.

Also I do not know if I will lose out on the WIFI 6 connection because the system tries to standardize all to WIFI 5 or something.

Do hope to hear some of your thoughts on this.

Ideally they would all be WiFi 6 so that it can at the very least use WiFi 6 speeds for the mesh network.

Although if you can physically run an ethernet cable to your extra router, I believe AiMesh can use that for a vastly superior solution to use WiFi as the link back to the main router.

You also have to ask the question, do you need it?  Just adding more WiFi transmitters doesn't necessarily improve the speed, as it can be tricky to put them on channels that do not clash with the neighbours.  Some 5Ghz devices only support the lower channels which is a real PITA as everyone ends up broadcasting on the same channel, resulting in garbage speed and latency.

Generally the best solution is to try repositioning your router for optimal signal strength where you need it.  Or even not using WiFi on the router at all and just setting up a wired Access Point in an optimal location for reception.

Hi all,

Currently, there is a promotion by my ISP to bundle the ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC2900.

I was thinking of adding a second router to extend the network at my place due to concrete walls everywhere.

The ASUS RT-AC86U cost around 300 where I live and the ASUS RT-AX58U cost around 240.

I do not know if the networks can mix being one from WIFI 6 and another from WIFI 5.

Also I do not know if I will lose out on the WIFI 6 connection because the system tries to standardize all to WIFI 5 or something.

1 minute ago, amsga said:

Hi all,

Don't put extra routers everywhere, try to use access points as much as possible where you require wireless. A router should be the border of a network, just like a firewall. Routers seperate networks by NAT'ing to their WAN interface. Using a router in access point mode will usually run it as a switch and access point combined. Very expensive if you ask me.

3 hours ago, Naijin said:

Don't put extra routers everywhere, try to use access points as much as possible where you require wireless. A router should be the border of a network, just like a firewall. Routers seperate networks by NAT'ing to their WAN interface. Using a router in access point mode will usually run it as a switch and access point combined. Very expensive if you ask me.

The whole point of AiMesh is those devices can be switched into a Mesh Access Point mode.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

3 hours ago, amsga said:

Hi all,

Ideally they would all be WiFi 6 so that it can at the very least use WiFi 6 speeds for the mesh network.

Although if you can physically run an ethernet cable to your extra router, I believe AiMesh can use that for a vastly superior solution to use WiFi as the link back to the main router.

You also have to ask the question, do you need it?  Just adding more WiFi transmitters doesn't necessarily improve the speed, as it can be tricky to put them on channels that do not clash with the neighbours.  Some 5Ghz devices only support the lower channels which is a real PITA as everyone ends up broadcasting on the same channel, resulting in garbage speed and latency.

Generally the best solution is to try repositioning your router for optimal signal strength where you need it.  Or even not using WiFi on the router at all and just setting up a wired Access Point in an optimal location for reception.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

7 hours ago, Naijin said:

Just thought of giving the AiMesh and well mesh network in general a go and see if that helps.

4 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Currently I do have an old D-Link DIR-300 as a secondary access point supported by an ethernet cable to my main router.

I'm looking more on coverage as a last mile thing as one of the rooms that is supposed to be covered by the D-Link doesn't reach there.

I do try to select my own channels on 1, 6 and 11 for 2.4 GHz to avoid the neighbours.

So another thing I hope to find out is that does the AiMesh allow you to select channels or is it those attempt to select the best channels kind of thing?