Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air

TiCaHe

Been looking at the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air for my next build and was wondering if anyone here have had any experience with the case. My plan is to put a pretty high-end system in it with the 5900x and a 6800xt. But with a limit on the cpu gooler. hight being 85mm and the limit on radiator size being one 120mm my plan was to have a beefy 120 with push/pull config. Does anyone know the limit on rad+fans for this case? I have only found that the rad cant be thicker than 45mm but I assume that is without a fan??

Any positive or negative experiences with the case would be great to hear.

Thanks//

41 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

Been looking at the Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 Air for my next build and was wondering if anyone here have had any experience with the case. My plan is to put a pretty high-end system in it with the 5900x and a 6800xt. But with a limit on the cpu gooler. hight being 85mm and the limit on radiator size being one 120mm my plan was to have a beefy 120 with push/pull config. Does anyone know the limit on rad+fans for this case? I have only found that the rad cant be thicker than 45mm but I assume that is without a fan??

Any positive or negative experiences with the case would be great to hear.

Thanks//

I have the original, the Shift. The only difference, as I understand it, is the mesh side panels.

I absolutely adore the look, but working within it was a bloody nightmare. I would absolutely not buy another one again. It's very tight inside, and airflow front to back isn't good at all (IMO)

You are in for some work making everything fit. There are lots of screwhole attachments inside the case, but just not much room for stuff.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have the original, the Shift. The only difference, as I understand it, is the mesh side panels.

I absolutely adore the look, but working within it was a bloody nightmare. I would absolutely not buy another one again. It's very tight inside, and airflow front to back isn't good at all (IMO)

You are in for some work making everything fit. There are lots of screwhole attachments inside the case, but just not much room for stuff.

Yeah the look is something else, not just another box. The challenge of building in it was something I expected and I´m ready to deal with, my biggest concern is however thermals. What system are you running and what temps do you get? Also, do you have the glas or mesh panels?

8 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

Yeah the look is something else, not just another box. The challenge of building in it was something I expected and I´m ready to deal with, my biggest concern is however thermals. What system are you running and what temps do you get? Also, do you have the glas or mesh panels?

I have the glass panels, which is the original case (bought it used from a guy who couldn't get the thermals under control) and considered getting mesh panels, but couldn't find any for sale.

I did get the thermals under control, but it took some extra fans and careful placement (plus lots and lots of research online by others who've had this issue as well) to do it.

Specs for it are as follows:

Voyager Linux (an Ubuntu distro)

M450 I Aorus Pro Wifi mobo

Ryzen 5 2600 (bone stock) with bone stock cooler

GTX 10509 Ti

16GB DDR4

256GB m.2 nVME drive

idles at 46 degrees for the CPU

30 for the GPU

37 for the nVME

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I have the glass panels, which is the original case (bought it used from a guy who couldn't get the thermals under control) and considered getting mesh panels, but couldn't find any for sale.

I did get the thermals under control, but it took some extra fans and careful placement (plus lots and lots of research online by others who've had this issue as well) to do it.

Specs for it are as follows:

Voyager Linux (an Ubuntu distro)

M450 I Aorus Pro Wifi mobo

Ryzen 5 2600 (bone stock) with bone stock cooler

GTX 10509 Ti

16GB DDR4

256GB m.2 nVME drive

idles at 46 degrees for the CPU

30 for the GPU

37 for the nVME

Thanks alot!

How are the thermals under load? Also, how many fans do you have and how are they placed?

5 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

Thanks alot!

How are the thermals under load? Also, how many fans do you have and how are they placed?

Not a game player, so I don't know.

Fans:

1 at bottom going up (standard 80mm fan IIRC)

1 top front pushing across mobo

video card has twin fans, I used the extension cable to mount the video card with fans facing the side panel

power supply at bottom, fan facing inward (coupled with bottom fan creates a votrex of sorts)

no real place at the back for an exhaust fan, because the cables get in the way (cable management on this system is a bitch, and the only place to hide them was along the back of the case)

Later today I will get you some pics of how it's set up.

17 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

How are the thermals under load?

Running a stress test the CPUs get up to 62 degrees under full (100%) load

5 hours ago, TiCaHe said:

What system are you running and what temps do you get?

Ok, pics uploading, but I cleaned out the dust, and the new temps at idle are as follows:

CPU: 30

GPU: 25

nVME: 31

Yeah, it had some dust in it, I'm ashamed of my housecleaning skills....😔

35 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

Also, how many fans do you have and how are they placed?

Pics for you (complete with dust..sorry)

And that might be a 120mm fan on the bottom.

IMG_20201209_1529577.jpg

IMG_20201209_1530013.jpg

IMG_20201209_1530041.jpg

IMG_20201209_1530219.jpg

36 minutes ago, TiCaHe said:

Also, how many fans do you have and how are they placed?

Last pic

Since the air flows up and out the back (but also straight up) I left the mobo faceplate off so air flows better.

IMG_20201209_1531485.jpg

From what I‘ve seen thus far there seem to be quite a few changes to the OG shift which should help with thermals. 

Back is now perforated, GPU fans face outside by default (great for mesh panels!), 2.9 slot GPU support, more space for cables up top and slightly different PSU orientation. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

Last pic

Since the air flows up and out the back (but also straight up) I left the mobo faceplate off so air flows better.

IMG_20201209_1531485.jpg

Thanks alot for all the pictures and the temps, I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, ShinRamen said:

From what I‘ve seen thus far there seem to be quite a few changes to the OG shift which should help with thermals. 

Back is now perforated, GPU fans face outside by default (great for mesh panels!), 2.9 slot GPU support, more space for cables up top and slightly different PSU orientation. 

Yeah I also read that, I think the case is really great looking and the new one with the mesh panels seem to have very good air flow. Now I´m more concerned with how to cool the cpu (if i end up getting the system). 

1 hour ago, TiCaHe said:

Yeah I also read that, I think the case is really great looking and the new one with the mesh panels seem to have very good air flow. Now I´m more concerned with how to cool the cpu (if i end up getting the system). 

I believe AIO units can fit properly now.

8 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

I believe AIO units can fit properly now.

Yes It can take one 120mm AIO in the back, not sure tho if it´s enough to cool the 5900x without sounding like a jet engine.

A question that arose, have you had any trouble fitting the wifi antennas off the motherboard, thinking if the "lid" was in the way or if there is space?

3 hours ago, TiCaHe said:

Yes It can take one 120mm AIO in the back, not sure tho if it´s enough to cool the 5900x without sounding like a jet engine.

A question that arose, have you had any trouble fitting the wifi antennas off the motherboard, thinking if the "lid" was in the way or if there is space?

The antennas that bend to 90 degrees, no problems, I had to buy a special 90 degree HDMI cable however, and getting the 90 degree bend going the correct way (opposite of what is normally found, given how I have my video card positioned) was a right royal pain to find.

7 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

The antennas that bend to 90 degrees, no problems, I had to buy a special 90 degree HDMI cable however, and getting the 90 degree bend going the correct way (opposite of what is normally found, given how I have my video card positioned) was a right royal pain to find.

Thanks again for all the help. Will have to keep that in mind if I get the case.