Sabrent 8TB SSD Fried My Laptop

Hi all,

I follow you guys on YouTube and watched your segment on the Sabrent 8TB SSD.  Purchased on Jun 28th of this year and had been working fine till 3 days ago.  

My laptop and or SSD is not functionally well.   I ran chkdsk via safe mode and windows found errors which it tried to repair.  Didn't work.  The weird thing is if I ran chkdsk logged in as administrator in command prompt windows doesn't detect anything there... Wired.

Another weird thing is that when I reset my laptop using windows reset feature to reinstalled during the process I got the Blue Screen of Death but unfortunately I did not see the message in time as it flashed before my eyes.

It eventually installed but blued on my a few times in windows.Whats more is if I right click the desktop progress wheel spins and not stopping and thus no right click access.

What do you guys suggest I do?  I paid 2000+.  $ Canadian dollars for this.

For context I have or did have a functional Matebook X Pro 16Gb Ram 1.8gz quad core with the afformentioned Sabrent 8tb SSD.  Laptop 2018/19 model.

Any advice will help.

IMG_20201206_201027.jpg

I'm confused with what the actual problem is. Is it that your have errors in Chkdsk or is Windows itself not functioning well? Why did you need to use the Reset Feature? You're better off just formatting and reinstalling Windows from scratch if you ever need to use the Reset feature. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If it worked for 6 months your SSD didn't "fry your laptop", but something simply failed randomly.

Put back the old SSD to see if the issue is with the SSD or the laptop itself.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I had a computer shop cloned original to the Sabrent and asked to remove the boot function of the original.

I don't know how to put that boot function back as the Bios does detect the original SSD but not as a bootable option.  Can't afford to go back to the shop.

Any idea how to get SSD discoverable as bootable?

I reset the laptop as I thought it had a virus so I reset.  I know stupid move.

My laptop was functioning weirdly. Just stopped working. So I reboot. Couldn't get back into windows. So that's when I decided to reset.

8 minutes ago, 8Bitsfun said:

My laptop was functioning weirdly. Just stopped working. So I reboot. Couldn't get back into windows. So that's when I decided to reset.

Try reinstalling it from scratch, using a USB drive with Windows on it. Not from the reset option. It certainly doesn't sound like anything "fried" your computer.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

9 minutes ago, 8Bitsfun said:

I would just format the drive, and install a fresh copy of Windows and see where that takes you. I wouldn't have asked the shop to remove the boot function from your original drive. But since your Sabrent is basically a clone of your original, at least you can still retrieve your data from the original as a storage device. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

19 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I would just format the drive, and install a fresh copy of Windows and see where that takes you. I wouldn't have asked the shop to remove the boot function from your original drive. But since your Sabrent is basically a clone of your original, at least you can still retrieve your data from the original as a storage device. 

It's the Sabrent is the issue.   I want to use the original again.  Hmm yah I guess I'll have to wait to go back to the shop.

Thanks for looking into this.

4 hours ago, 8Bitsfun said:

It's the Sabrent is the issue.   I want to use the original again.  Hmm yah I guess I'll have to wait to go back to the shop.

Thanks for looking into this.

How do you know that the Sabrent is the issue?
It could be fine, and that you putting it in triggered something else to break.

elephants