NVIDIA GeForce Experience overlay preventing your display from sleeping? I fixed it!

nuzayets

Like in the title. NVIDIA's had this bug with GeForce Experience for 3 or more years now, it happens if you have a joystick plugged in. People have basically had to choose to either turn the overlay off, or unplug their joysticks every time. So I got annoyed and decided to fix it myself.

The fix is pretty simple to apply:

1. Disable the GeForce Experience overlay while we apply the patch.
    7j90g4V.png
  2. Open PowerShell as an Administrator (you need to be able to write to GFE's directory):
    - Hit Winkey+R, type powershell and press CTRL+SHIFT+Enter.
    - OR hit the Start menu, begin typing powershell, right click on Windows PowerShell and click Run as administrator.
  3. Paste the following code:
    ## Make sure NVIDIA GeForce Experience overlay is disabled before running this script.
    ## PowerShell should be started as Administrator.
    ## This was tested against GeForce Experience:
    ##  - 3.20.5.70
    ##  - 3.20.5.83

$path = Split-Path ((Get-ItemProperty -Path Registry::HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\GeForceExperience\Shell\Open\Command).'(default)' -replace '"',"")
    $file = [System.IO.File]::ReadAllBytes("$path\libcef.dll")
    $offset = 0x61e0ae8
    if($file[$offset] -eq 4 -and $file[$offset+2] -eq 5 -and $file[$offset+4] -eq 8) {
    	Stop-Process -Name "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    	Stop-Process -Name "NVIDIA Share" -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
    	[System.IO.File]::WriteAllBytes("$path\libcef.dll.bak", $file)
    	$file[$offset] = 6    # Replace usage 0x04 (Joystick) with keyboard
    	$file[$offset+2] = 6  # Replace usage 0x05 (Gamepad) with keyboard
    	$file[$offset+4] = 6  # Replace usage 0x08 (Multi-axis Controller) with keyboard
    	[System.IO.File]::WriteAllBytes("$path\libcef.dll", $file)
    } else {
    	Write-Output "Your libcef.dll doesn't seem to match the version this file was tested against."
    }

4. Re-enable the GeForce Experience overlay.

If you want to know why this particular byte in this particular file, I've written up how I debugged the issue here: https://details-of-note.blogspot.com/2020/12/nvidia-3-year-old-bug.html

Until NVIDIA issues a patch, I will try to keep the patching script up to date here: https://github.com/nuzayets/rawinput-debug

I hope this will be of interest to the community here ... If NVIDIA sees it, maybe they'll actually fix it and I won't have to keep updating the patch.