Minecraft Server

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,
15 minutes ago, xX_jackal_231_Xx said:

I was thinking of buying a Minecraft server and I want to buy a prebuilt for this bc I don’t trust the server companies. What's the best bang for the buck Minecraft server? (I saw one from a year ago about the r720 but those aren’t being made anymore)

Unless you want to dump thousands into a brand new server from Dell or HP you're going to have to go used. There are thousands of used R710, R720, and R610 or R620 servers on ebay the likes.

I was thinking of buying a Minecraft server and I want to buy a prebuilt for this bc I don’t trust the server companies. What's the best bang for the buck Minecraft server? (I saw one from a year ago about the r720 but those aren’t being made anymore)

how many players?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

15 minutes ago, xX_jackal_231_Xx said:

Unless you want to dump thousands into a brand new server from Dell or HP you're going to have to go used. There are thousands of used R710, R720, and R610 or R620 servers on ebay the likes.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Minecraft servers only care about single-core performance, that's it. A 5GHz i7 will stomp a Threadripper for a Minecraft server, so just find the highest clocked CPU with the fastest single-core performance you can fit in your budget. Pair that with 16GB of RAM and you're good to go.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Lurick said:

A "real" server (one that tends to have many cores) will not be ideal for OP. As I said in my reply, Minecraft servers only run on one core.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

A "real" server (one that tends to have many cores) will not be ideal for OP. As I said in my reply, Minecraft servers only run on one core.

The only reason I even brought those up is because OP mentioned the R720 servers as not being made anymore but yes a fast few cores for a MC server only is what OP really needs.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

I can speak from experience on this topic. I used to have my Minecraft servers running on a virtual machine on my NAS / Plex server. It had dual Xeons with lots of power, lots of RAM, but the clock speed wasn't great. I have since replaced it with a 1U Supermicro server running a cheap core-i3 (3.6 Ghz I believe), and 8 Gigs of RAM. I have 4x 120 Gig SSDs in RAID10 for the OS (this is WAAAAY overkill, only did it because I wanted to try it out, and i got a great deal on a purchase of 10 SSDs). I then run the game server off of a 250 Gig NVMe drive. It runs GREAT. For reference, this machine is concurrently running 2 Java, and 4 Bedrock servers. Generally only sees users on 1 at a time, my kids and their cousins, max of about 10 people usually. 

All you really need is something that has good clock speeds, and 8 Gigs of RAM should be MORE than adequate for a vanilla Java, or Bedrock server. YMMV if you are planning to host something modded. I can't speak for that. I did on the dual Xeon platform, and it ran like hot garbage.

All of that said, like you had mentioned that particular server chassis is out of date. If you are wanting to get something that is NOT end of support/end of life from a provider, you may as well put your money in a bag and set it on fire. As hobbyists, just about the ONLY equipment we (speaking generally here, I KNOW there are some whales out there that break the mold, and some that purchase uber high end for professional development at home) buy is the used stuff found locally, or on Ebay. Really though, cheap mobo, dual or quad core CPU with clocks 3.5 - 4 Ghz that is maybe 5 years old or less and you should be golden with minimal investment. 

Gaming Rig - ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (stock), ND-D15 Chromax Black, MSI Gaming Gaming X Trio RTX 3070, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32Gig (2 x 16G) DDR4 3600 (stock), Phanteks Eclipse P500A, 5x Noctua NF-P14 redux-1500, Seasonic FOCUS PX-850, Samsung 870 QVO 2TB (boot), 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB NVMe (game libraries), 2x Seagate BarraCuda ST8000DM004 8TB (storage), 2x Dell (27") S2721DGF, 2x Asus (24") VP249QGR, Windows 10 Pro, SteelSeries Arctis 1 Wireless, Vive Pro 2, Valve Index

NAS /Plex Server - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB (2U), X8DTN+, 2x E5620 (Stock), 72GB DDR3 ECC, 2x Samsung 860 EVO (500GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2, 2x WD 10TB white label (Easy Store shucks), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Other Servers -2x Supermicro CSE-813M ABC-03 (1U), X9SCL, i3-2120 (stock), 8 Gigs DDR3, 4x Patriot Burst 120GB SSD (Raid10 OS array), Mushkin MKNSSDHL250GB-D8 NVMe (game drive), Ubuntu 20.04 LTS - RAID 10 failed after a power outage... dang.