ASUS X99 A-II with i7-6950X powers on and then almost instantly back off

I have had both this CPU and motherboard for about 3 years with no major issues so far. In the last month I'd had 1-2 BSODs where the message said something about CPU power delivery errors. Today after I replaced the RAM I had in it with some new Trident Z RGB ram I bought.

It booted for a few seconds, seemed like it was going to post (screen went from no input to black) and then restarted with no post. After that it booted again, the RGB lighting on the ram turned on, and then a second later the whole PC shut off. I tried powering it on a third time, and this time it would power on for about half a second, lights would flash and whatnot (00 displayed on the 8 segment) and then it would instantly shut off. I tried the old ram, a different PSU and even no RAM. The only thing that worked to get the board to turn on without seemingly dead shorting the power supply was removing the CPU. After doing that the board powered up normally (albeit without a CPU).

What I'm wondering is, is this more likely the motherboard, or the CPU? It seems like it could be either, since there might be a short in the CPU power delivery circuitry, or the CPU could be dead shorted. Either one is expensive to test replacing (~$250 for a new motherboard and ~$290 for a new cpu), but which one is more likely?

Also does anyone think the RAM might've killed it? I tried plugging the RAM in too with no CPU and its RGB turned on.

Thanks,

Alec

Did you try resetting CMOS?

You need to do that when you do a RAM swap since different timings and all

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Yep, I tried that. I don't think it's a CMOS issue :P

It just won't power on at all. Nothing works besides removing the CPU.

I think this board has a CPU less BIOS flashback, but IDK if that would help.

I just tried BIOS flashback without the CPU installed, and then put it back in after. Still doesn't work.