MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 2x OC Rattling on high demanding games

Grapcioo

So... yeah. I just bought from Polish store a brand new RTX 3070 from MSI.

Everything works fine, temperatures are ok (75°c to 80°c when I'm playing RDR on Ultra) but there's a very annoying problem for me, one of the fans are just rattling. It's not very loud but when I take my headphones off I can hear this rattling noise.

I tried to use MSI Afterburner and set fans to 80% and 100% without playing a game but that noise is not here, It arises when I'm play the game. There's any fix to do by myself without lossing the warranty or I should RMA? Also, this problem can broke my GPU in future or is it not very dangerous to my GPU?

1 minute ago, Grapcioo said:

So... yeah. I just bought from Polish store a brand new RTX 3070 from MSI.

Everything works fine, temperatures are ok (75°c to 80°c when I'm playing RDR on Ultra) but there's a very annoying problem for me, one of the fans are just rattling. It's not very loud but when I take my headphones off I can hear this rattling noise.

I tried to use MSI Afterburner and set fans to 80% and 100% without playing a game but that noise is not here, It arises when I'm play the game. There's any fix to do by myself without lossing the warranty or I should RMA? Also, this problem can broke my GPU in future or is it not very dangerous to my GPU?

Is it possible that you are hearing the coil whine? Try running furmark and tell us if you hear it than too

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

Just now, Enzo1001 said:

Is it possible that you are hearing the coil whine? Try running furmark and tell us if you hear it than too

Like a week ago I used furmark to localize which fan is making this noise, but coil whine is hearable, not really loud but there is.

But after running a Furmark and launched the game i recorded very short video of this rattling noise:

And this rattling noise coming from the right fan (manually stopped a fan gently pushing my finger to the center of this fan).

Maybe a fan bearing broke?

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

14 minutes ago, Enzo1001 said:

Maybe a fan bearing broke?

Sounds like my old 560 ti fan when ramping up from 0% to 100% ...., yea, it maybe is a bad bearing

Ok guys so... The situation worsened considerably. After 2 hours of playing RDR that thing just happened...

I guess it's RMA time... Anyone knows how long it will take? Weeks/Months?

• 3 weeks later...

So... yea after three weeks I finally got my card from MSI Service and they didn't find anything, card still rattles. It's probably the last product from MSI that I bought from them.

But I found a temporary fix for this annoying noise, i mean undervolting. It helps me a lot when I'm playing high demanding games like RDR2, C2077 on ultra, but I don't know, if fan can fail sooner or later even at low rpm?

For me it's bad fan bearing for sure but I don't know that badly fan bearing can ruin my gpu.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Grapcioo said:

So... yea after three weeks I finally got my card from MSI Service and they didn't find anything, card still rattles. It's probably the last product from MSI that I bought from them.

But I found a temporary fix for this annoying noise, i mean undervolting. It helps me a lot when I'm playing high demanding games like RDR2, C2077 on ultra, but I don't know, if fan can fail sooner or later even at low rpm?

For me it's bad fan bearing for sure but I don't know that badly fan bearing can ruin my gpu.

Try to get a GPU support bracket, looks like the plastic is really low end. I got to hold it with a support that i had in my case, but it wasnt enough to spot this noise, so i bought a support for it.

I have to moove it sometimes but it's definitly cause of the weight.

Sorry for my english bro

1 hour ago, Sotros said:

Try to get a GPU support bracket, looks like the plastic is really low end. I got to hold it with a support that i had in my case, but it wasnt enough to spot this noise, so i bought a support for it.

I have to moove it sometimes but it's definitly cause of the weight.

Sorry for my english bro

I agree that makes sense... sort of. 

On 12/26/2020 at 9:33 PM, Grapcioo said:

well, it probably can't ruin it but the issue is likely to get worse... 

Since you already experienced the joys of MSI customer service, maybe you could make use of your guarantee and ask the seller to exchange it (you have 2 years guarantee in the EU, there's no need to  'RMA' anything) 

If seller refuses to replace it you're eligible to get your money back (assuming this wasn't a private seller which could make things more difficult) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Hey, just saw your post while searching for stock of this exact card. I currently have an RTX 2060 Super Ventus OC which essentially is the same board size, heatsink and shroud/fans. The original fans of mine died in 6-8 months and I purchased a replacement set from a different model. The only caveat was the ones I got were spliced on a single cable where the original were 2 separate connectors, but they worked just fine. However, I was not happy with the performance and noise levels, and decided to scrap the whole shroud/fan assembly and put 2 Noctua Chromax 90 mm fans instead, held by plastic coated twist ties running under the heatsink and into the bottom holes of the fans - sounds janky but is super easy and secure, and they are invisible when mounted. To connect the Noctuas you need 2 of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005ZKZEQA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and voila - the card is nearly silent even under load and the temps are 10C lower. Removing the shroud and fans assembly is super easy and will not void your warranty (no stickers and such, just 4 or so screws on the sides of the heatsink and whole thing just lifts off, mind the fan/rgb connectors). Here's a pic how it looks. Hope this helps, cheers!

20210105_123639.jpg