Rig Upgrade

rue61

Budget (including currency): depends

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cold war, Civ 6, Cities Skylines mainly, also CAD work and running multiple streams to different TVs from streaming services.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hello,

I am attempting to upgrade my system. The current parts list is:

- AMD Ryzen 5 1600X

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

- Asus PRIME B350-PLUS

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

- Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB

- EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold

I am looking at potentially going with the update below:

- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition

- Asus PRIME B550-PLUS

- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

- Asus GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB

- EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold

I am in college and know that I don't really need to make this upgrade, but I have some money and why not. I am also not sure if I should get a 5000 series, but they are very hard to find at the moment. My next goal would be to get a new GPU once things are available around this time next year. Please give me some input. I would appreciate it! If you would do anything different please let me know.

If you go 5000 series, the Ryzen 5 (6 cores) would probably be a better price-to-performance buy. The 3700x will be useful for sim games likes civ6. But the new improvements in clock speeds and what not you’d be getting out of the 5000 series cpu. Just make sure whatever case cooling you have can feed the hyper 212

13 minutes ago, rue61 said:

I currently have the NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case and have never had thermal issues thus far.

Make sure you quote people so we can see your responses

When you upgrade to 3rd gen ryzen, you can still use your prime B350-plus and save some decent money. The money saved could go into a graphics card upgrade.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

Make sure you quote people so we can see your responses

When you upgrade to 3rd gen ryzen, you can still use your prime B350-plus and save some decent money. The money saved could go into a graphics card upgrade.

My bad about the quote, but if I am wrong please correct me. If I am attempting to go up to a 5600x or 5800x I would need the newer motherboard? If I go with the 3700x I can stay with the current one. Do we know when the 5000 series will be available? I also think that going with the extra 2 cores would be helpful.

22 minutes ago, Qaeo said:

If you go 5000 series, the Ryzen 5 (6 cores) would probably be a better price-to-performance buy. The 3700x will be useful for sim games likes civ6. But the new improvements in clock speeds and what not you’d be getting out of the 5000 series cpu. Just make sure whatever case cooling you have can feed the hyper 212

I currently have the NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case and have never had thermal issues thus far.

23 minutes ago, rue61 said:

My bad about the quote, but if I am wrong please correct me. If I am attempting to go up to a 5600x or 5800x I would need the newer motherboard? If I go with the 3700x I can stay with the current one. Do we know when the 5000 series will be available? I also think that going with the extra 2 cores would be helpful.

you'll need a newer board for the zen 3 CPUs.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

8 hours ago, rue61 said:

B350 and X370 don't get official support for 5000 series so yes, you'd need a B450/X470 or B550/X570/A520 to get support for 5000 series Ryzen.

Some board partners (namely ASRock) have been rather daring with a custom BIOS and allowed 5000 series CPUs on 300 series chipsets, so perhaps if you hold out until January you would see a BIOS revision that allows even more CPU support.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Update your motherboards BIOS to the latest revision available and get yourself a 3700x. No need of cooler change, as hyper 212 black edition performs similar to regular version.

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W