Baffling Cooling issue

Hi guys

Hopefully someone will be able to pick up on something that I am missing, because this week has been ridiculous and I feel in my frustration, I am overlooking something simple. It started monday night, where since I am accustomed to my cpu temps to be around 38c at night, it is idling at 44ish (before I go any further my system is a Asus x470 prime pro, AMD 2600, RX480 8GB, GSKill 16gb 3200, using a NZXT Kraken X52 in a BitFenix ENSO case). So I had taken out the radiator before for a dusting and then this time i wanted to rock it and place it lower than the pump to get out any bubbles. All of a sudden the temperature shot up to 65c and kept climbing until it hit 102 (this is within 2-3 restarts) and it shut down ...so I assumed maybe the pump is bad. I contacted NZXT, they told me that the pump may indeed be bad, fine. Put on the stock air cooler that came with the 2600 today(couple minutes ago). Turned it on, computer doesnt seem to be throttling or anything, then the CAM software popped up and the cpu temp is at 95c and not moving. I restarted, checked my BIOS first and saw the temp start at 80 and then climb. Downloaded CoreTemp 1.16, and it said the same thing and currently the ambient temp is pretty low, the rain has been falling all day, and my old pc that my mother uses is idling at 21c. What am I missing?

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

What thermal paste did you use? Additionally, are you sure about the mounting pressure of the cooler?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

4 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

What thermal paste did you use? Additionally, are you sure about the mounting pressure of the cooler?

Hey Martin, the air cooler has pre applied paste. When i took off the AIO I changed the paste from the pre applied to Protronix series 7 and the temperature went down to 38-40. At that time the radiator wasn't fully mounted, so I made sure the air bubbles were out. With the current air cooler however, it is securely in place. Made sure not to over tighten and it isn't loose that you can wiggle it either.

44 minutes ago, Lawless8723 said:

Hey Martin, the air cooler has pre applied paste. When i took off the AIO I changed the paste from the pre applied to Protronix series 7 and the temperature went down to 38-40. At that time the radiator wasn't fully mounted, so I made sure the air bubbles were out. With the current air cooler however, it is securely in place. Made sure not to over tighten and it isn't loose that you can wiggle it either.

I think it just isn't on with adequate pressure, a photo of the thermal paste spread when you remove the cooler will be diagnostic of this, but the fact that you "made sure not to over tighten" it makes me think it must be on with pretty low pressure.

2 hours ago, Lawless8723 said:

Made sure not to over tighten

The cooler should be fully and evenly tightened. It should be at least as tight as you can get it with two fingers on the screwdriver.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I agree with above reply.

Also with the aio. Air will gather at the highest point in the loop.

when you place the rad below the pump it moved the all the air into the pump. That could have killed the pump. 

Are you getting the aio replaced?

If not

You could try to holding the rad higher then pump, shake the aio, and run the pump. If it runs you should feel it vibrate or maybe tick/ humm. 

If Vibrating it might be ok try testing.

Tick/ humm noise. Electrical its ok but the physical pump is clogged or seized.

It maybe fixable, but you would have to remove the cold plate to inspect. The problem if it is that you'll want to clean clean and refill no longer then within a day or two as air will help create corrosion so you'll want to the refilling products before hand. If its not fixable then you waste money on refill products that your not going to use.

Check out my video I purposely introduce air bubbles into my AIO pump and show you what it takes to get it out (shake the bejeezus out of it). You'll probably need to crank the volume to hear the noise change though.

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

I think it just isn't on with adequate pressure, a photo of the thermal paste spread when you remove the cooler will be diagnostic of this, but the fact that you "made sure not to over tighten" it makes me think it must be on with pretty low pressure.

I will give this a try 

1 hour ago, narrdarr said:

I agree with above reply.

Also with the aio. Air will gather at the highest point in the loop.

when you place the rad below the pump it moved the all the air into the pump. That could have killed the pump. 

Are you getting the aio replaced?

If not

You could try to holding the rad higher then pump, shake the aio, and run the pump. If it runs you should feel it vibrate or maybe tick/ humm. 

If Vibrating it might be ok try testing.

Tick/ humm noise. Electrical its ok but the physical pump is clogged or seized.

It maybe fixable, but you would have to remove the cold plate to inspect. The problem if it is that you'll want to clean clean and refill no longer then within a day or two as air will help create corrosion so you'll want to the refilling products before hand. If its not fixable then you waste money on refill products that your not going to use.

I was also beginning to think that maybe nothing was wrong with my pump when I saw those numbers. I was supposed to be doing an RMA but I want to make sure I troubleshoot fully before then. I was still feeling liquid going through the tubes when the temp spiked, but I will give this a try as well...sigh what a way to start my vacation

I want to thank everyone for their input...I feel so silly at this point. So in the last test, I started up, decided to apply pressure on the air cooler...temps dropped from 85 to 43..I let it go and it started climbing. Turned off and decided to scrutinize the installation. Apparently, the 2 screws adjacent to the I/O back panel did not catch within the MoBo back plate :sigh: So now I am left to think that maybe my kraken x52 isn't dead, and when I changed the thermal paste, I did not tighten it enough

3 hours ago, For Science! said:

Check out my video I purposely introduce air bubbles into my AIO pump and show you what it takes to get it out (shake the bejeezus out of it). You'll probably need to crank the volume to hear the noise change though.

Will definitely be trying this later this weekend.

image.png.9f1c827b2d429536d2498db47045ec77.png This is the current status as I have quite a few things running in the back ground now. Thanks again for all the input folks!

Further update!! 
Retested the Kraken X52 after a few days of using the stock cooler...

On 12/3/2020 at 6:18 PM, For Science! said:

This was also a major help. When I started up I was relieved to see normal temps. Ran it for about 4 hrs last night and it has been on for a couple hours this morning already. Currently at 40-41..and idle 36--39

thumbnail_IMG_0727.thumb.jpg.6b9be8360543e2d2d2ff71b329c5bde8.jpg

Thanks again guys..Now to inform NZXT lol