3950x + Strix-E X570 crash on startup without manual CPU 1.35V setting?

adcert

So basically I got a used 3950x and a new X570-e strix, combined them with a crucial 3200Mhz 2x16 kit

It just crashes on starting the windows installer, as soon as the first GUI, language selection, is displayed for a second.

I thought this was some hardware issue so I went through troubleshooting steps and excluded that it was the fault of anything but the CPU or motherboard.

I described my hardware config and all the steps I took in detail in a reddit thread I made on the topic:

I was convinced it was my motherboard that was at fault, so I ordered another X570-e Strix but amazon ended up being late with it and I don't have it yet so I tried to fix it once again,

this time lowering CPU voltage, which worked. With PBO disabled, and manual voltage set to 1.35V, memory set to 3200Mhz, it seems to work, in the sense that it doesn't crash at the windows installer screen, I cannot speak for system stability or anything else for now.

I will say this is my first time ever changing such settings, I know nothing of overclocking.

I tried offset voltage, (-) 0.1, 0.11, 0.12, 0.13, 0.15

Only fixed manual voltage works, at 1.35, haven't tried others yet.

Disabling PBO by itself did nothing. Neither did disabling boosting in general.

What does this mean? Will this be an issue, is my CPU or motherboard defective after all, what should I do?

Any ideas?

ram in slots 2 and 4? 2667 for ram doesn't sound like default. default should be 2133. try with either 2133 or with xmp enabled.

This kit is 2666 base clock according to a review of it I read, as opposed to specifically 2133. And that's what it does by default with default bios settings and no XMP.

I have already tried a single slot of RAM and I have already tried different sticks, and in different slots,

regardless Memtest86 completes 2 passes with 0 errors with both of my sticks where they are now as I said in the reddit post. I doubt the problem lies in the memory.

I tried lowering it to 2133 and it changed nothing either way.