Why do craigslist ads for scalped (allegedly) GPUs include handwritten post-it notes

mcbain455

I'm not in the market for the new GPUs at any price, but I always keep an eye on Craigslist, eBay and FB Marketplace for deals on previous-gen HW.  Lately on CL, I see a lot of ads for the "brand new in box" "unopened" 3000 series GPUs which include photos of the boxes with handwritten post-it notes (example below,) or in the passenger seat of their car.   Is the idea to convince me that the seller actually possesses the item?  This *reeeeeeally* sets off my BS detector.   Is this just another CL trope like "I know what I've got"  and "lowballers will be ignored"?

clexample.jpg

3 minutes ago, mcbain455 said:

Is the idea to convince me that the seller actually possesses the item

Usually yeah, similar to timestamps on reddit for the trade market. I trust it more than whoever just uses a stock photo, Amazon screenshot, or even a screenshot of their own listing from a different app/older listing. 

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

4 minutes ago, mcbain455 said:

Is the idea to convince me that the seller actually possesses the item? 

Yes. It's to show that it is their picture and they actually have the card. There are people who make fake listings and just use other peoples pictures to pretend they have it.

5 minutes ago, mcbain455 said:

This *reeeeeeally* sets off my BS detector.

If they're just using the stock photo of the card from Nvidia's website then that should set off your bullshit detector.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

21 minutes ago, mcbain455 said:

Is this just another CL trope like "I know what I've got"  and "lowballers will be ignored"?

My favorite statements in listings.  When I see these comments I generally move on to the next listing.  I find that a great deal remain unsold.  

20 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

My favorite statements in listings.  When I see these comments I generally move on to the next listing.  I find that a great deal remain unsold.  

If you know what you got, then why are you selling it with such absurd premium you idiot lol XD RTX 3070 for $750 is just absurd and I hope it'll sit in his hands until he'll have to sell it with a loss just to get rid of it.