CPU fan error at POST

shoutingsteve

This is odd.  I recently moved (bought a house, so I mean moved across town not moved my computer from one room to another) my computer and when I hooked it back up I got an error in the POST.  "CPU FAN ERROR".  I shut down the system and unplugged/replugged the CPU fan power and booted back up with the lid off the computer.  I saw the fan spinning so I thought I was in the clear, but I still get the error.  I bypassed the error message and went into windows were AIDA64 showed only my case fans, not my CPU fan (it was not present in the list of fans).  I watched my CPU temps and ran a benchmark to see if the system would ever get hot enough to be a problem and after about 5 minutes of 100% load on all cores the temps were only in the 150s, which tells me the fan is doing fine.  I don't NEED to fix it, but I would like to.

Any ideas on what my first steps should be?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

2 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

This is odd.  I recently moved (bought a house, so I mean moved across town not moved my computer from one room to another) my computer and when I hooked it back up I got an error in the POST.  "CPU FAN ERROR".  I shut down the system and unplugged/replugged the CPU fan power and booted back up with the lid off the computer.  I saw the fan spinning so I thought I was in the clear, but I still get the error.  I bypassed the error message and went into windows were AIDA64 showed only my case fans, not my CPU fan (it was not present in the list of fans).  I watched my CPU temps and ran a benchmark to see if the system would ever get hot enough to be a problem and after about 5 minutes of 100% load on all cores the temps were only in the 150s, which tells me the fan is doing fine.  I don't NEED to fix it, but I would like to.

Any ideas on what my first steps should be?

Random thought, plug one of your case fans into the CPU_FAN header and see if it still triggers the error. If so, it's probably an issue with the board itself or a BIOS issue.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

You are sure you connected it to CPU FAN header and not something like AIO/CPU OPT or CHA? What board you got there buddy?

4 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

You are sure you connected it to CPU FAN header and not something like AIO/CPU OPT or CHA? What board you got there buddy?

It is the same header that is was before I got the error.  I didn't open the case until after it displayed the error.  The board is the Asus H87M-PRO.

4 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Random thought, plug one of your case fans into the CPU_FAN header and see if it still triggers the error. If so, it's probably an issue with the board itself or a BIOS issue.

That's a good idea, it will at least tell me if it is the fan or not.