Upgrading, need help

The General

So my only question is, If I want to upgrade my CPU should I unplug the power supply or not, or should I turn off the switch of the power supply before putting the new cpu? and then boot it up?

Turn off the switch on the PSU before upgrading, that way the PC is grounded, but not connected to the mains. Remember to turn the PSU back on before booting up :P

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Ehm...

Both.

Why both?

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

Turn off the switch on the PSU before upgrading, that way the PC is grounded, but not connected to the mains. Remember to turn the PSU back on before booting up :P

Why both?

Remove residual power

elephants

5 minutes ago, The General said:

So my only question is, If I want to upgrade my CPU should I unplug the power supply or not, or should I turn off the switch of the power supply before putting the new cpu? and then boot it up?

When upgrading my PC I always unplug it from the wall and flip the switch on the power supply (sometimes I even take the cable out). Best to make sure no power has a way of getting into your PC while you are upgrading

3 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Remove residual power

Do you know what the switch at the back of the PSU does...? It physically disconnects the PSU from the mains. It does the same thing, but keeps the PC still grounded.

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

Do you know what the switch at the back of the PSU does...? It physically disconnects the PSU from the mains. It does the same thing, but keeps the PC still grounded.

Better safe than sorry

elephants

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Better safe than sorry

Exactly. Which is why you keep the PSU plugged in, so the PC is still grounded.

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

oh okay thanks man