980 ti not performing as expected

herb

i recently upgraded from a r9 fury to a 980 ti. i upgraded mostly because the coil whine on the fury is atrocious but i figured i might as well get a slight upgrade in the process.

anyway when i installed the 980 ti and benchmarked it i noticed that it was performing worse than my r9 fury. (FYI i only used cinebench r15 but i should see an improvement right?)

is there a problem with my card? is NVIDIA nerfing cards?

please help me solve this issue because the 980 ti is supposed to be ~20% better than the fury.

1 minute ago, herb said:

please help me solve this issue because the 980 ti is supposed to be ~20% better than the fury.

How did you determine that?
If you used userbenchmark, ignore it. It's extremely skewed and not accurate at all (I used math terminology!).

elephants

Could you perhaps test it out with an actual GPU benchmark, like 3DMark or Unigine Superposition?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

all i tested it with was cinebench r15. i realize that it was not very thorough but i should still see something, or am i wrong?

Agreed with priors. But did you fully remove the AMD drivers? Ive seen that be an issue between team red and team green cards when swapping.

fully? or just through programs and features? Or did you use something like DDU (display driver uninstaller)?

Compute workloads can behave differently from gaming. I have no idea what Cinebench GPU results are like. It'll suck if you actually changed it for Cinebench, but if it was for gaming, use gaming benchmarks.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

i changed it for gaming, and also i re-ran the benchmark an i realized that most of the time it was only utilizing 30-40% of the GPU and it was only 30 fps off of what was expected. i figure the benchmark just isn't accurate.

i bet once im in a game i will see a difference