Minimum PSU Fan Clearance

FangerZero

Does anyone know the minimum clearance you want to have for a PSU? I plan on building a PC Desk case, but I'd only have about 6mm clearance is that enough? I know 10mm would be fine, I'm just not sure about 6mm. 

So between the PSU (intake on top) & Glass there would be about a 6mm gap.

6 minutes ago, FangerZero said:

So between the PSU (intake on top) & Glass there would be about a 6mm gap.

Why intake on top? What case is this? Do you ahve any pictures to illustrate what you mean as I'm pretty confused.

As stated in the original post, "I plan on building a PC Desk case" emphasis on PC Desk Case. Reason for the clearance is I'd like to keep the "table width" below 5" since 5" is already pretty damned big. I really like the look of having the intake fan show under the glass. 

Edit: the Glass will probably be about 3/8"~1/2" wide and the wood on the bottom will probably be around 1/2" wide

11 minutes ago, FangerZero said:

As stated in the original post, "I plan on building a PC Desk case" emphasis on PC Desk Case. Reason for the clearance is I'd like to keep the "table width" below 5" since 5" is already pretty damned big. I really like the look of having the intake fan show under the glass. 

Edit: the Glass will probably be about 3/8"~1/2" wide and the wood on the bottom will probably be around 1/2" wide

Why not use an SFX PSU?  Much smaller.

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why not use an SFX PSU?  Much smaller.

Assuming the PSU size standard doesn't change, I didn't want to be limited to SFX PSUs. There are less options in that category, both by company and by wattage, and are normally significantly more expensive. 

32 minutes ago, FangerZero said:

Assuming the PSU size standard doesn't change, I didn't want to be limited to SFX PSUs. There are less options in that category, both by company and by wattage, and are normally significantly more expensive. 

SFX and SFX-L are the same height and width.  Only the depth changes.  So that opens you up to more options.

Also, they're not "significantly more expensive" than a PSU of equal performance.  You get what you pay for.  For example, an SF750 should be compared to an HX750.  Not a CX750.  If you're building this with cheap parts expecting to hit a low cost target, then I'm out.