Motherboard missing ports?

dmeanor

I bought a new case, and put my old motherboard in there. I noticed that there are missing ports things on my motherboard. Is that normal or do I have to purchase them separately? 

005E9FB4-DBA5-4BD7-9ABE-7761E357A8D7.jpeg

814069B2-00F0-40E4-98C7-CDE62FEB7DE8.jpeg

For the first picture (missing USB 3 front panel connector) your motherboard just doesn't have that. It seems to be a lower end board, so that's not too surprising. The missing IDE header is also not surprising as IDE has been outdated for a long time now. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Interesting. Looking at pictures of the board online, they don't have them either. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the PCB is used for several different boards to keep cost down, and this particular version just doesn't have these features. Looking at the USB 3 circuitry, it looks like there is no controller installed as well, so that makes sense. As for the IDE port, you're not gonna miss that one, horribly outdated standard.

The connectors were never there from the start. 

Usually there's other models that use the same base circuit board but add more connectors.

Another possibility is that the manufacturer (Asrock in this case) was contracted by a company like HP or Dell to make an OEM motherboard for them with specific features and then re-use the design to release some models under their brand. 

So for example, an OEM motherboard could have had the IDE connectors installed along with the IDE controller chip (because AM1 chipset doesn't have an IDE controller built in) but they're releasing their own branded model