Jittery particles, collisions and textures (Nvidia 1660 Ti)

Hi,

I've already posted this under the gaming section but upon further consideration I think it belongs here as it's related to the GPU settings than gaming.

I’ve been struggling with jittery particles/textures/models in Monster Hunter World, Pillars of Eternity, Slime Rancher, Minecraft and some other games, mostly on collisions. I’ve tried the preset settings in the control panel (currently on quality), anisotropic filtering 8 and 16 but so far I haven’t found a solution. The drivers are up to date (457.30) and Windows is 2004 (it has been reinstalled). I have also tried it on Windows default drivers after reinstalling to version 1909 but with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've also uploaded two examples whioh I've found recently. The textures/lighting keeps flickering in unnatural jagged patterns. I can upload the full video if necessary.

1.PNG

2.PNG

Which model do you have? Sometimes downclocking just a little bit with MSI afterburner resolvers these kind of issues.

19 hours ago, Sjaakie said:

Which model do you have? Sometimes downclocking just a little bit with MSI afterburner resolvers these kind of issues.

I have the Aorus 1660Ti. It boosts by default to 1950-2050 without any overclocking. Do you think it can be damaged? I don’t recall this happening a year age but that was a lot of driver and Windows versions ago and I didn’t pay so much attention to it. Are those artifacts or just wrong settings?

Can you suggest a benchmark test it? Heaven? 3D Mark?

Edit: lowering the clock by 100 MHz made no difference and I've noticed that Minecraft started stuttering on mouse or keyboard movement. The CPU usage does not increase, it's just an imput lag/stutterish kind of effect. A few months age everything was completely fine. What is interesting it's fie when the world is loading and once it's done only then does it occur. I'm using an 9700K, not overclocked.

Edit2: the Minecraft stuttering seems to be connected to my mouse as on a pad I did not notice it. The general shakiness, especiall on clisions when blocks fall down etc. also persists on the Intel HD GPU, unless it's HDMI-related as that's how the monitor is connected via the 1660Ti.

Edit3: the mouse and pad working differently is a false positive,  both behave the same under the same conditions, seems like I will be struggling with this for some more time.  The GPU also passed a few runs of Heaven without any artifacts so it should be fine.

Hmm that should rule out the gpu then. Did you try another monitor cable?

5 hours ago, Sjaakie said:

Hmm that should rule out the gpu then. Did you try another monitor cable?

No, can it cause such problems? I assumed that it would just stop working. I don’t think I have a reliable one on me though.

On 12/2/2020 at 12:43 AM, Sjaakie said:

@Sharpman85yes they can produce artifacts. I'd try another cable.

Another cable gave the same results, I think it's caused by the game itself as there are no other artifacts like this. I've also noticed that some of the things I wrote about are also visible on youtube videos about those games so it seems to be the way it is and I'm too pedantic after playing for thousands of hours and notice too many things. Today for example I've noticed shimmering foliage and trees when zooming in and out in Total War Warhammer 2, the shadows of moving objects, like the heroes, are also jittery, but it may be just me worrying too much. Last mention of this was on Nvidia forums two years ago so it may be just noticed by people with very sensitive eyes - sometimes I notice horizontal line flickering on black backgrounds (on 3 different PCs).

I do not see an issue with the example pictures you posted at all. What are even "jittery particles" never heard of that..? 

I think what it sounds like is you just realized how computer graphics work - far from perfect, that's why they have all this stuff like anti aliasing, motion blur, etc etc... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I do not see an issue with the example pictures you posted at all. What are even "jittery particles" never heard of that..? 

I think what it sounds like is you just realized how computer graphics work - far from perfect, that's why they have all this stuff like anti aliasing, motion blur, etc etc... 

The jitter is not visible in the picture, that was something different - light with different angles which seemed like artifacts.

You may be right, I’ve been using notebooks with limited power up to a year ago and maybe I’m just noticing it, like moving grass far away having a shimmering effect or the same thing with a lot of trees in minecraft when you move a camera making it seem like stutter. It’s hard to notice on videos this hard to point out.

19 minutes ago, Sharpman85 said:

The jitter is not visible in the picture, that was something different - light with different angles which seemed like artifacts.

You may be right, I’ve been using notebooks with limited power up to a year ago and maybe I’m just noticing it, like moving grass far away having a shimmering effect or the same thing with a lot of trees in minecraft when you move a camera making it seem like stutter. It’s hard to notice on videos this hard to point out.

I mean I do notice similar things too... (like things not rendered correctly, "weird" lighting etc) though since it happened a little bit too often I started to "fact check", I basically record everything when playing games (for other reasons)  and I take a lot of screenshots too... and, indeed, like 99% of this stuff didn't change and has in fact always been exactly like that... 

so yes, we just notice things more the more we play... also sometimes I'd change some settings and forget about it, and few weeks later I'm like "well this is definitely *broken*..." which it of course isn't, I just forgot I had changed it. 😅

Also, i mean idk but I have and idea what you could mean with "jittery" stuff. 

Sometimes things like particles, environment, or even enemies are rendered at lower framerates, to "save resources" and it can indeed look laggy, jittery, or broken (which it technically is, at 60fps you'd expect things to run at 60fps instead of ~ 30.

So this would be another example of a thing that didn't "change" it's just something that's not immediately noticeable most of the time. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 12/6/2020 at 6:40 AM, Mark Kaine said:

I mean I do notice similar things too... (like things not rendered correctly, "weird" lighting etc) though since it happened a little bit too often I started to "fact check", I basically record everything when playing games (for other reasons)  and I take a lot of screenshots too... and, indeed, like 99% of this stuff didn't change and has in fact always been exactly like that... 

so yes, we just notice things more the more we play... also sometimes I'd change some settings and forget about it, and few weeks later I'm like "well this is definitely *broken*..." which it of course isn't, I just forgot I had changed it. 😅

Also, i mean idk but I have and idea what you could mean with "jittery" stuff. 

Sometimes things like particles, environment, or even enemies are rendered at lower framerates, to "save resources" and it can indeed look laggy, jittery, or broken (which it technically is, at 60fps you'd expect things to run at 60fps instead of ~ 30.

So this would be another example of a thing that didn't "change" it's just something that's not immediately noticeable most of the time. 

Yes, that can definitely be the case, especially when you have better hardware and are not limited by laptop-level thermals :)

I tend to verify everything , but the strangest thing is with Minecraft is that it didn’t seem that way. I will have to get someone else to have a look, maybe it’s just me and I need a 144 Hz display..

As for the objects in 30 fps instead of 60   I’ve noticed that also, it’s not nice but doesn’t look like artifacts.

EDIT: small update, I've tried enabling DST and it helped so it was just me being picky and complaining about how computer graphic works.