Installed New Cooler now Build won’t Turn On

BryanNichols10

Hey all,

i was installing a Noctua cooler as an upgrade from my amd stock cooler. I put everything back together, plugged everything in, and pressed the power button and nothing happened. 

i noticed that the light on my GPU that is usually white was red, so I looked and saw that the plus 2 cables on the 8 pin had come undone and I had only plugged in 6 of the 8. So I fixed that and the light on the GPU went to white once I plugged in my PSU. 

So I hit the power button and again, nothing happened. I thought maybe something had come undone while I was changing the cooler so I pulled off the front panel connectors and tried shorting the pw pins but still nothing happened. 

And when I say nothing happened, I mean no fan spin, no mother board leds come on, absolutely nothing. 

So could it be I messed up my mobo while installing the cooler somehow? That was my first thought, but the light on my GPU indicating power still works, and devices like USB still work. 

could it be my power supply? Maybe something happened to it? The only reason I’m hesitant is because when I flip the switch on the PSU I get the Mobo leds to flash and then go to black. And the light on the GPU indicating power is on. I also suspect the PSU Just because it was one of the more budget items in my build.

i did remove my CPU from its socket and I did not see any bent pins. I also tried powering it up without the gpu or ram installed just to see if those could be causing it to not post. 

I’d greatly appreciate any help! Thank you in advance!

specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600x

Aorus B450 M mATX mobo

ASUS ROG 1660 Super

Thermal Take Smart 500w

12 minutes ago, ItsJakeJucie said:

Try turning off your computer and turning off your Power Supply or unplug and replug it then press the start button if that isn't it make sure all your Power Supply Cables are in.

If none of these work then you might wanna upgrade your Power supply to something 80 Gold Plus Certified and 650W or Above 

Please reply if this was helpful

Hey there, I know that the PSU is capable of powering it as I had it up and running prior to changing the cpu cooler. And as far as I can tell, all of the connections are good. 

I’m leaning towards some dead component, but I’m not sure what it is! 

It could be a few things, i would first try unplugging the psu from everything and doing a psu test, reference here:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Make sure the psu still works, couldve been an odd fluke where the disconnected gpu cable did a feedback short or something and killed the psu, i highly doubt that though.

After that reassemble everything, make sure every connection is secure and try turning it on again.

If you still get nothing, remove the CPU cooler entirely and inspect the area where it mounts for damage. Youre looking for scrapes along surface traces, components with broken solder connections to the board, anything that looks imperfect.

Remove the cpu, put it back in. PGA or LGA, this can rarely happen where a socket is a little "loose" in either regard and applying pressure with a new cpu cooler can actually cause the cpu to lift off of a pad or pin a little. In which case the board would see an improperly connected cpu and wouldnt even power on.

Re-install the cooler after doing so and make sure to use the recommended tightness when installing. Never torque down any screws in a computer, youre dealing with small electronics, not an engine block.

If you still cant get it to start after testing the psu, reinstalling the cpu and making sure all cables are connected properly, you may have some weird fluke of a dead motherboard. There are still other options to test, if anyone you know near you has a cpu to test if its your cpu, or a board to test if its your board.

If all else fails, RMA or get a new board first before replacing any other component, provided the psu turns on fine after a psu test.

7 hours ago, 8tg said:

It could be a few things, i would first try unplugging the psu from everything and doing a psu test, reference here:

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025085372-How-to-Test-a-power-supply-unit

Make sure the psu still works, couldve been an odd fluke where the disconnected gpu cable did a feedback short or something and killed the psu, i highly doubt that though.

After that reassemble everything, make sure every connection is secure and try turning it on again.

If you still get nothing, remove the CPU cooler entirely and inspect the area where it mounts for damage. Youre looking for scrapes along surface traces, components with broken solder connections to the board, anything that looks imperfect.

Remove the cpu, put it back in. PGA or LGA, this can rarely happen where a socket is a little "loose" in either regard and applying pressure with a new cpu cooler can actually cause the cpu to lift off of a pad or pin a little. In which case the board would see an improperly connected cpu and wouldnt even power on.

Re-install the cooler after doing so and make sure to use the recommended tightness when installing. Never torque down any screws in a computer, youre dealing with small electronics, not an engine block.

If you still cant get it to start after testing the psu, reinstalling the cpu and making sure all cables are connected properly, you may have some weird fluke of a dead motherboard. There are still other options to test, if anyone you know near you has a cpu to test if its your cpu, or a board to test if its your board.

If all else fails, RMA or get a new board first before replacing any other component, provided the psu turns on fine after a psu test.

Thank you so much for the response. I will try this out and see what happens!