Choosing a CPU

Go to solution Solved by Coolmaster,

Here's some games compared 

The 3300X is slightly better for gaming, but if you were to do something that can use the extra cores of the 2600 to their full potential then it would be better. I'd recommend the 3300X since it's better for gaming and has PCIe gen 4 support.

Hey guys, I'm looking at CPUs and was wondering if there was any significant performance difference between the Ryzen 5 2600 and the Ryzen 3 3300x? Any big differences in gaming performance for not AAA titles or benchmarking? I understand the jump from 4c/8t to 6c/12t, but in most circumstances, does that make much of a difference or is it "more is better because it is"? And I know that the 3300x has overclocking support but all AMD ryzen chips are unlocked so does that make much of a difference if a minor over clock or just stock settings are in place?

2 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

The 3300X has fewer faster cores, and the 2600 has more slower cores. For gaming the 3300X would be the faster of the two.

I was seeing that the Passmark scores are roughly the same, and for light-medium gaming and media consumption, would there be a real difference noticed with the two extra cores?

Here's some games compared 

The 3300X is slightly better for gaming, but if you were to do something that can use the extra cores of the 2600 to their full potential then it would be better. I'd recommend the 3300X since it's better for gaming and has PCIe gen 4 support.