Virgin Media to Upgrade Customers Internet speeds for Free

solosdk

This may be quite old now (announced like a month ago), but VM never did an official press release/announcement and has kept quiet about it so far.

Anyway, starting from March 2014, all customers will be upgraded according to the information below:

Download       |      Upload

30Mb > 50Mb          2Mb > 3Mb

60Mb > 100Mb        3Mb > 6Mb

120Mb > 152Mb      12Mb > 12Mb

So the new plans will now be

50Mb, 100Mb, 152Mb

Bear in mind this is Megabits, not Megabytes.

In reality, 50Mb produces 6.25 Megabytes/second

100Mb = 12.5 Megabytes/second

152Mb = 19 Megabytes/second

I have a connection from their 120mbps package that I use for streaming TV from my satalite receiver and remote desktop stuff. Pretty great ISP so far. I get 12mbps upload. Your table is wrong.

I have a connection from their 120mbps package that I use for streaming TV and remote desktop stuff. I get 12mbps upload. Your table is wrong.

My apologies, just realised that 12Mb is for 120 package and will remain the same for the upgrade

My apologies, just realised that 12Mb is for 120 package and will remain the same for the upgrade

Yeah, Maybe they have plans to upgrade it in the future like they did when they started to offer 120mbps. Hopefully they will double it.

Nice. Charter has done that a couple times where I live (even lowered prices on some plans) and there are rumors of them doing it again as they continue to upgrade the infastructure.

Sweet the house I just moved to has 30/2 which would mean I'll be getting 50/3 pretty soon, which is nice. 

"What the... You're not made of Tuesday!"  ―Roberto

Me gusta, gotta love Virgin web, no caps and free upgrades.

I've been on that network since they were CableTel>NTL>Virgin Media owned infastructure.

100/6 from April will do nicely.  :D

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Geforce RTX 3090 FE 

I've got 45Mbit/s Down and 10Mbit/s up from Sky. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

I've got 45Mbit/s Down and 10Mbit/s up from Sky. 

Sweet :P

This is mine on Sky ;)

3372504433.png

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Sweet :P

This is mine on Sky ;)

3372504433.png

Well we (my town) just got fibre this year and sky plans up upping to 75Mbit, they do some fairly regular load balancing. BT offers 75Mbit but how over sold that is still up for question, I experience zero speed degradation at peak times like I did on BT. So I'll be happy with my speed for now but hoping sky gives me more in the future. Much better than the 14down 1up I used to get, ADSL must die in a fire.  

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

Well we (my town) just got fibre this year and sky plans up upping to 75Mbit, they do some fairly regular load balancing. BT offers 75Mbit but how over sold that is still up for question, I experience zero speed degradation at peak times like I did on BT. So I'll be happy with my speed for now but hoping sky gives me more in the future. Much better than the 14down 1up I used to get, ADSL must die in a fire.  

Hey hey! Don't be mean to ADSL. Without it you wouldn't even have fibre internet :P

Since fibre internet is still FTTC and not FTTP :P

I used to get 4Mb down and basically nothing on the upload... So the fact I got fibre is a massive upgrade. 

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Meanwhile,I can get gigabit for $18.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hey hey! Don't be mean to ADSL. Without it you wouldn't even have fibre internet :P

Since fibre internet is still FTTC and not FTTP :P

I used to get 4Mb down and basically nothing on the upload... So the fact I got fibre is a massive upgrade. 

My point exactly, the day we all get FTTP I will put my torch down. The upload was the best thing for me, 10x the speed when ever someone would upload before hand the network would grind to a halt and become unusable.

Yay we are getting that free upgrade sometime July August time.. they do throttle at peak times though :(

Son of a b****

20Mb/s with talktalk woooooop. This is there fibre package.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

sky in my area is sh*t, all I can get is 8mb down and not even 1mb down...

just over £10 in the uk...

mbps is megabits per second

mb/s is megabytes per second

Just a heads up because many people seem to be getting this wrong

yay... another internet upgrade :D

Character artist in the Games industry.