Help with failing hard drive

Selven
Go to solution Solved by mormoloc1986,

sometimes i just plug my drives while windows is running, depending on what system i had, it got recognized and drivers installed, etc. for example on my am2 system, it works, on others it does not. nothing ever broke by plugging them while the pc was turned on, i mean never..

My mother's laptop (windows 10) has had an issue booting up the last couple days, the system does the diagnosing issues windows thing for about 5 minutes, than says there was a problem detected and brings up the windows repair tool. I tried going through the repair and safe boot options with no success, so today I am trying to get some of the data off the hard drive for her. However when I plug the hard drive into my system (windows 10) via sata, I get my asus splash screen than a SMART failure prediction for the hard drive. I can only go into the bios. I have disabled her hard drive from my boot devices but it still does not allow me to boot to windows with the drive connected. Is there any way to get into windows to get the data off the hard drive.

Yes - but it requires a few things.

If you don't have a desktop:

1. A SATA to USB converter

2. A way to remove the hard drive from the laptop

3. Another computer with a USB port

If you do have a desktop:

1. A way to remove the hard drive from the laptop

2. A spare SATA cable

For the first:

Remove the HDD from the laptop. Then, connect it to the SATA to USB converter and connect that to another computer.

For the second:

Remove the HDD from the laptop. Then, connect it to your desktop via a SATA cable (make sure it has power too) and get the files off that way. Make sure you are not booting from the laptop hard drive.

elephants

10 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Yes - but it requires a few things.

If you don't have a desktop:

1. A SATA to USB converter

2. A way to remove the hard drive from the laptop

3. Another computer with a USB port

If you do have a desktop:

1. A way to remove the hard drive from the laptop

2. A spare SATA cable

For the first:

Remove the HDD from the laptop. Then, connect it to the SATA to USB converter and connect that to another computer.

For the second:

Remove the HDD from the laptop. Then, connect it to your desktop via a SATA cable (make sure it has power too) and get the files off that way. Make sure you are not booting from the laptop hard drive.

I have removed the hard drive from her laptop and have it connected to my desktop via sata, I have disabled it in my bios boot but it still does not let me boot into windows.

sometimes i just plug my drives while windows is running, depending on what system i had, it got recognized and drivers installed, etc. for example on my am2 system, it works, on others it does not. nothing ever broke by plugging them while the pc was turned on, i mean never..

11 minutes ago, mormoloc1986 said:

That worked for me, thank you