Don't know which GPU to get

Yashiees

1080p Gaming, On a 144hz Monitor.

(dont mind going up to 1440p but who plays comp at 1440p)

BUT I need all the maximum fps a game can give me, I play comp fps games and I kind of need that good fps, on low settings.

and I'm wanting to stream and play triple aaa games on the side

What sort of budget do you have? If you don't specify a budget there's no way of knowing what card is right for you. Also, what country are you in? (For availability reasons)

2 hours ago, Sharccc said:

What sort of budget do you have? If you don't specify a budget there's no way of knowing what card is right for you. Also, what country are you in? (For availability reasons)

just under £700

5700-XT can smash any game at 144hz on 1080P with settings turned down and a LOT of them on maxed settings too provided you have a fast CPU.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

3 minutes ago, Yashiees said:

just under £700

If that's 700 pounds for JUST the graphics card, you might be able to find a 3070, but as those are low in availability you might have to either wait, or settle for a 2080 super / ti (if you can find a ti for the price). Or if you're lucky, a 6800 XT.

Just now, Sharccc said:

If that's 700 pounds for JUST the graphics card, you might be able to find a 3070, but as those are low in availability you might have to either wait, or settle for a 2080 super / ti (if you can find a ti for the price). Or if you're lucky, a 6800 XT.

But if you want to save some money, you can get a lower end card, if you only care about 144 hz at low settings, a 2060 super could do that just fine.

59 minutes ago, Sharccc said:

but its the 8gb on the rtx 3070 that bugs me thats all. But for streaming i'd go for nvidia but for fps i'd go for 6800XT.

I'm in major confusion and I dont know which one to buy + They're so overpriced right now

1 minute ago, Yashiees said:

but its the 8gb on the rtx 3070 that bugs me thats all. But for streaming i'd go for nvidia but for fps i'd go for 6800XT.

I'm in major confusion and I dont know which one to buy + They're so overpriced right now

The 3070 is more than capable of giving you great FPS in comp games, and will far exceed the 144hz of your monitor. As for those AAA games, it'll probably manage a solid 40-80 fps (Depending on the game) at max settings. But yes, the 3070 is overpriced and hard to find at the moment. A 2080 super could be easier to find, although would be about 15-20% slower.

1 hour ago, Sharccc said:

The 3070 is more than capable of giving you great FPS in comp games, and will far exceed the 144hz of your monitor. As for those AAA games, it'll probably manage a solid 40-80 fps (Depending on the game) at max settings. But yes, the 3070 is overpriced and hard to find at the moment. A 2080 super could be easier to find, although would be about 15-20% slower.

Would an rtx 3080 be worth it then? for 1080p even if bottleneck?

Just now, Yashiees said:

Would an rtx 3080 be worth it then? for 1080p even if bottleneck?

RTX 3080 would be massive overkill for just gaming at 1080p. 1440p and beyond it's a formidable card, but at 1080p 144hz it's a waste of money.

Just now, Sharccc said:

RTX 3080 would be massive overkill for just gaming at 1080p. 1440p and beyond it's a formidable card, but at 1080p 144hz it's a waste of money.

As is the 3070 & 6800.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

59 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

As is the 3070 & 6800.

but wouldnt it give me extra edge and at least some extra fps?

Just now, Yashiees said:

Yes all of these cards will, the point being though, are you willing to shell out all of your money on just a GPU or grab something else with your GPU? 

Anything from 2070S / 5700-XT and upwards will rip competitive shooters apart at 144hz 1080P on high-max settings.

Just now, Yashiees said:

It'll get you more FPS true, but if you only have a 144hz monitor, you can't even see it. (Yes I'm aware 500 fps at 144hz is more responsive than 144 fps at 144hz, but a lower end card will still manage to pass that 144 fps in lower-end games, and at that point there isn't too much benefit.)

A 3080 would be pretty much pointless for comp games. For AAA streaming, maybe at 1440p / 4k it could be worth it, but at 1080p it'd still be overkill.

Just now, Sharccc said:

It'll get you more FPS true, but if you only have a 144hz monitor, you can't even see it. (Yes I'm aware 500 fps at 144hz is more responsive than 144 fps at 144hz, but a lower end card will still manage to pass that 144 fps in lower-end games, and at that point there isn't too much benefit.)

A 3080 would be pretty much pointless for comp games. For AAA streaming, maybe at 1440p / 4k it could be worth it, but at 1080p it'd still be overkill.

I only have a 1050 ti for now, but it can still manage upwards of 150 FPS in CS:GO. Any card beyond a 1060 ti will be more than enough for comp games. It's just how much that AAA streaming matters to you.

1 hour ago, Wheresmehammer said:

Yes all of these cards will, the point being though, are you willing to shell out all of your money on just a GPU or grab something else with your GPU? 

Anything from 2070S / 5700-XT and upwards will rip competitive shooters apart at 144hz 1080P on high-max settings.

i dont play at max settings cause as we all know (they dont really help comp games = csgo, etc)

But I might think about upgrading to a 1440p monitor in the future. 

Just now, Yashiees said:

i dont play at max settings cause as we all know (they dont really help comp games = csgo, etc)

You are limited by your CPU in CSGO, a 5700-XT & 2070S can easily push frames upwards of 500+ FPS on maxed settings at 1080P but you need a VERY fast CPU for those kinds of framerates.

Just now, Yashiees said:

1440p at low settings is pretty much going to be like 1080p at max settings, maybe a bit more load on the GPU, but like hammer and I said, a 3070/3080 would be overkill.

Just now, Sharccc said:

1440p at low settings is pretty much going to be like 1080p at max settings, maybe a bit more load on the GPU, but like hammer and I said, a 3070/3080 would be overkill.

Not even close, 1440P is only like 35% extra load whereas settings can add up to some 100% difference.

Just now, Wheresmehammer said:

Not even close, 1440P is only like 35% extra load whereas settings can add up to some 100% difference.

Right, I mistook 1440p for 4k for a sec there. But yeah, you're right.

I think for future proof I'd prob go for a RTX 3070, But if AMD is offering that 16GB and for some time i actually start caring about graphics and how the game looks, I would prob go for amd. and I need a card for future proof! I can wait along while tho.

1 minute ago, Yashiees said:

I think for future proof I'd prob go for a RTX 3070, But if AMD is offering that 16GB and for some time i actually start caring about graphics and how the game looks, I would prob go for amd. and I need a card for future proof! I can wait along while tho.

Mind you, VRAM gives you diminishing returns at lower resolutions, that 16 GB of VRAM will really only be up to it's full potential at 4k and beyond, below that, the 8 GB in (most) games of the NVidia cards should be enough.

Mind you, VRAM gives you diminishing returns at lower resolutions, that 16 GB of VRAM will really only be up to it's full potential at 4k and beyond, below that, the 8 GB in (most) games of the NVidia cards should be enough.

Then I'll buy a 1440p monitor in the future with the rtx 3070, least I can have the best of both worlds. Play on 1440p monitor at max settings for the view and also play comp on my 1080p  

and I'll prob stream in 1080p I dont know if 1440p streaming is good or needed.

most streaming services don't support anything beyond 1080p, how-ever if you record the stream as well as stream it, you could upload the VOD in 1440p, but this could put extra strain on your system as you are rendering a game, recording said render, encoding said render, and upload said render, all at once.

don't support anything beyond 1080p, how-ever if you record the stream as well as stream it, you could upload the VOD in 1440p, but this could put extra strain on your system as you

okie! I shall wait till the gpus get low because they are crazy high rn.