CRG9 Popping/Cracking sound

Hi, wondering if I can get a community opinion.

I bought a Samsung CRG90 49" Ultrawide from Amazon recently and it's boxed up in my hall waiting for a return collection. As they had no stock to replace it, I re-ordered a fresh one from AO.com.

Both have suffered from the same problem - a clicking/popping noise for a good 30 mins when turned on. Then it's fine. Then when you're ready to go to bed, you turn off the monitor, and lots of popping and cracking going off again for 30 mins or so.

I've read posts suggesting it's due to the plastic casing contracting and expanding due to heat. Samsung support have told me twice now the monitor shouldn't do this. AO are awaiting more stock before they can replace this one.

I may be fulfilling the definition of insanity here by doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Does anyone own a CRG90 and NOT have this problem? Do I have any hope of obtaining a CRG90 without this defect? Or is it something you should expect to live with.

You can watch a recording I made herehttps://photos.app.goo.gl/xv35YSxnfQ9d6iFA7

You'll here the distinct pop at 00:38, 00:52, 01:06, 1:20, 1:28, 1:34, 1:46, 1:52, 1:59, 2:16, 2.23, 2:36, 2:41.....and so on. 

I absolutely love this monitor. There's not many alternatives to its spec. But I'm not sure I can accept a £900 monitor with this kind of defect. But for all I know, maybe ALL ultrawides suffer from this problem. Though I would've though I'd have seen more than a few reddit comments. 

Either way, I was mainly hoping I could benefit from some community experience with this and other ultrawide monitors. Having had two editions of this monitor in two weeks with the same problem, I'm a little bit sceptical the next one won't suffer the same issue. Any help is much appreciated! Thanks

• 1 year later...

@Zapp, I just got the same monitor Samsung CRG9 and have the same issue with the popping cracking noise. Did your replacements fix the problem?  I noticed on page 4 in the user manual under "Caution" it clearly states "When the product makes popping (cracking) sound. The sound may be caused by contraction or expansion from temperature change of external components or internal circuit of the product. This is NOT a product failure and does not affect the life of the product."  It does seem pretty odd from a monitor that doesn't have speakers.

Interested in your thoughts today...

Thanks!