Curve Optimizer on 5900X - Better than manual OC!

I made an account just for this discussion.

I'm currently stable at -30 on all cores, however I can not get it to do any extra boost, i.e. 200 mhz +. Will try to play with power settings.

my 5800x is working great with -30 all cores. interesting the OP says they went -35 on some cores but I thought the maximum offset is +\-30??

I got 2 5900x here, the  first one  was not able to run more than 4675  allcore, the 2nd one is able  to run 4750  allcore  stable  apart from Prime /too high temps/, but I have ditched  Prime anyway.

What is interesting, how  different the CPUs  are.. will try new  Agesa AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0.

Thanks for interesting  tips on how  to OC Ryzen  to everyone -) 

On 1/10/2021 at 9:46 AM, jwwagner25 said:

my 5800x is working great with -30 all cores. interesting the OP says they went -35 on some cores but I thought the maximum offset is +\-30??

That is the max but my older MSI BIOS allowed lower numbers for some reason, whether they did anything or not, I don't know lol.

13 hours ago, famich2005 said:

I got 2 5900x here, the  first one  was not able to run more than 4675  allcore, the 2nd one is able  to run 4750  allcore  stable  apart from Prime /too high temps/, but I have ditched  Prime anyway.

What is interesting, how  different the CPUs  are.. will try new  Agesa AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.1.9.0.

Thanks for interesting  tips on how  to OC Ryzen  to everyone -) 

That one is nice lol. I could only do 4.7GHz all core but I was able to play with and run some benchmarks by overclocking per CCD, 4.9GHz and 4.8GHz. Wasn't stable, though. But you might have better luck instead of doing all core..

From what I have read 4800 allcore is the absolute max and requires higher  voltage  around 1.39. What troubles me is that the BIOSs are still raw, the new  beta from ASUS is not better, rather marginally worse than 1216.

ANd lot of  BIOS options are confusing- for example, PBO is on 2 places in  BIOS and god knows if  those options really work-)

On 1/13/2021 at 8:35 AM, famich2005 said:

From what I have read 4800 allcore is the absolute max and requires higher  voltage  around 1.39. What troubles me is that the BIOSs are still raw, the new  beta from ASUS is not better, rather marginally worse than 1216.

ANd lot of  BIOS options are confusing- for example, PBO is on 2 places in  BIOS and god knows if  those options really work-)

On my MSI, there are two places for PBO as well. What I found out is that one place just adjusts it in the other place. The primary source for PBO seems to be under "AMD Overclocking." Either spot should yield the same results but just in case, make sure both spots are tuned the same. 

• 4 months later...
On 1/5/2021 at 6:59 AM, x10kuliai said:

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but you are using curve optimizer at Negative values and that's essentially the same as undervolting just in a smarter way :). Curve optimiser lets you lower voltage curve to get higher overclock at the end of the curve and less heat/power consumption at the beginning of the curve. Its a very interesting technology and as you said earlier its future of overclocking (atleast on ryzen). When it works as advertised you should get lower voltages with higher boosts if your temps allow for it and that is a WIN/WIN situation no matter how you look at it. 
AMD delivers next-gen overclocking with Precision Boost Overdrive 2 | OC3D  News
dfd3c88a-54f4-4977-9fc1-7f9b07065e0a.jpg

I was thinking the same, so wouldn't it make more sense to use a higher negative offset on the better cores and a lower one on the worst cores? As better cores need less voltage to achieve higher clocks

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 3:49 AM, mrdoubtfull said:

What's up??

Copying this over from my post on reddit. Figured it might be of interest to someone, maybe not.. Whatever 🙂 

I have a 5900X and I'm currently playing with the "Curve Optimizer" and am getting the best results I've seen on my CPU!

I'm getting 646 single core and over 8900 muti in r20!

A little context..

I thought I was getting the best performance I could without a manual overclock by using custom PBO settings and setting the curve optimizer to negative 10 all core. 

I couldn't get lower than negative 10 to work for all core. I even tried doing per-core and at first I tried increasing on what I thought were my best cores (through HWInfo).. I tried -15 on a few different ones at different times and it just didn't work for me.

I was tired of trying things and gave up for a while..

With a manual 4.7GHz OC I was looking at 8900-9100 (mostly below 9000) in r20 but my single core score would suffer, dropping to ~617 from ~635. I even tried per CCX (or CCD?) overclocking and it just wasn't stable, 4.7GHz all-core seemed to be the best manual OC I could get.

Before, I was using the curve optimizer and only PBO and was seeing ~8500 multi and - 625 single which was easy to reproduce.

With custom PBO + negative 10 all-core curve optimizer I was just barely getting over 8700 multi and ~635 single (642 was max I've EVER seen and couldn't reproduce it). 

After adjusting the curve optimizer per core, along with PBO, I was able to get 8950 multi and 646 single in r20. Over 640 is now common.

That's nearly as good as a manual OC, I can literally get the same multi core score now AND get higher single core score! That's exactly what I've been working towards!

ALL-CORE OVERCLOCKING IS DEAD!

I was hitting 5GHz here and there but now I'm hitting over that just ever so slightly AND more often. I'm seeing 5150MHz on one core, 5075MHz on another and 5050MHz on the third one that reaches 5GHz. I've actually seen two of them hit 5150MHz but not sure if was at the same time (probably not).

I'm seeing 4850MHz and 4775MHz often on several cores (up to 6) while playing Apex when it use to be 4400-4675MHz. I'm also seeing 5GHz while playing when I've never seen that before while playing Apex. What this translates to actual FPS I have no fucking clue. 

What did I do? 

After seeing the thread about PBO2 with the video (didn't watch it) and seeing AMD_Roberts replies, it regained my interest, so I went back to the BIOS to try a couple things..

Instead of sticking to one number for curve optimizer for all core, or just trying to set what I thought were the best cores to lower numbers, I actually started from the bottom, raising each number except for the top 5 (because I tried higher numbers before and failed) and did a lot of testing. I could get the bottom number to 70 but that didn't help much more than 40.

Currently, this is what's getting the results above (curve optimizer per-core):

1. Negative 10

2. Negative 10

3. Negative 10

4. Negative 10

5. Negative 10

6. Negative 35

7. Negative 35

8. Negative 35

9. Negative 35

10. Negative 35

11. Negative 35

12. Negative 35

Seems simple right? Maybe some of you already figured this out, but for those who want to push your CPU a little more, do some testing. Try my numbers. BUT also try testing other numbers and combinations.. Each CPU may work differently.

I did eventually try higher numbers again in the top 5 but it resulted in crashes or lower r20 scores. I tried positive numbers here and there, I tried keeping a few cores the same numbers, I tried decreasing in increments from bottom to top. For instance, I tried (from the bottom) 70, 60, 50, 40, 35, 30, 25, 15, 10, 10, 10, 10.. I saw a decrease in performance but it still allowed me to run tests without crashing. This is all kind of weird and new to me.

My PBO settings are manually set to:

• Precision Boost Overdrive: ADVANCED

• PBO Limits: MOTHERBOARD

• PBO Scalar: Manual, 5X

• MAX CPU PBO: 200MHz

• Platform Thermal Throttle Limit: 255 (max)

On MSI you can just set to 'Enhance Level 2' to get this.

SOMETHING IMPORTANT TO NOTE: before I was playing heavily with the curve optimizer, I found that OCing the RAM, whether increasing frequency or tightening the timings, DECREASED PERFORMANCE (on top of the WHEA errors obviously)!!!! That's why I'm running XMP ONLY at the moment. But after playing with the curve, I might try tweaking it again, but may have to wait for a BIOS update. Not sure.

Here's my specs (RAM is running XMP only!):

• 5900X

• B550 Gaming Carbon

• GTX 1080 TI

• 2x16GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 Cl16 Dual Rank

• RM850

I believe there Is a bug with Asus boards. I have the x570 strix f and with curve optimizer, it seems to be the wrong way round... Entering negative values increases my temps but positive decreases then?