New gaming PC, first AMD in years

Ferminator

Budget (including currency): CHF 2800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Games only, not very high FPS

Other details no other parts, new build. Old PC is Intel i7-6700, Geforce TTX 980, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD + 2 TB HDD

Hi there

Since my existing gaming PC is getting a bit old (see above), I felt it was time for something new. This is for gaming only, since I use a Mac for my work and other stuff like photo editing. 

This is what I'm planning to get:

• Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 DX
  • Board: ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Plus
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4
  • Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070
  • RAM: 64 GB DDR4-3200 (4x 16 GB to fill all slots)
  • SSD: Corsair MP600 2 TB M.2 2280
  • Power: ASUS ROG-STRIX 750G

I know that I'm probably over the top with the CPU and that I could have gone higher in some other areas like RAM speed (man, do prices go up beyond 3200...) and graphics card (good luck finding 3080 series...). On the other hand, coming from a 4 year old Intel, this should be a significant update. Gaming won't be 4K, but similar - I have a Dell Ultrawide 49", 5120x1440p resolution. 

Thoughts and advice? I'm waiting until Black Friday/Cyber Monday are through, then I'll probably pull the trigger. 

for just gaming, a 5600x would be fine imo. 32gb ram would be more than sufficient, then you can switch out for some 3600 cl16. far cheaper ssd options as well.

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

for just gaming, a 5600x would be fine imo. 32gb ram would be more than sufficient, then you can switch out for some 3600 cl16. far cheaper ssd options as well.

I agree with bmx was saying and you could also upgrade your gpu with the amount you will save by doing this

I see, you're probably right about gaming. 32 GB should be plenty. I think I'll stick with the SSD, though, since it has PCIe 4x speed with that motherboard/cpu. Thanks guys, I'll give this some thought and see about maybe getting faster RAM. And trade down slightly on the CPU in favor of a faster GPU should make sense in a gaming-only PC. 

Edited by Ferminator
typo