i7-9700k Cooling

Reed Green

Since the i7 does not come with a stock cooler I need a cheap air cooler for it. I won't be overclocking so nothing major but I don't want to run hot either. 

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

Gelid Phantom (Black) - only around 30-35$€

Where would I get one in the US I don't see any retailers on pc part picker

Seems like you need a parts list recommendation, you should post a topic with your country and budget and ask for full suggestions, instead of a topic for each component.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Seems like you need a parts list recommendation, you should post a topic with your country and budget and ask for full suggestions, instead of a topic for each component.

I've done that but as sales pop up and go away things change and I already have certain components I have flopped back and forth Intel and AMD various generations etc. 

5 minutes ago, Reed Green said:

Where would I get one in the US I don't see any retailers on pc part picker

There is actually some discount in the store - regular Gelid Phantom for 25.50$ and Gelid Phantom Black for 34$ that is shown when proceeding to checkout.

Super deal IMO - https://gelidstore.com/collections/cpu-cooler

I edit my posts more often than not

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

Super deal IMO

Except that shipping is $23 

4 minutes ago, Reed Green said:

Except that shipping is $23 

Damn, was not aware of that. Not worth it then.

Just now, Tan3l6 said:

Damn, was not aware of that. Not worth it then.

Got anything else

20 minutes ago, Reed Green said:

Got anything else

Nope, prices range much more different in USA than in EU

Though Good old Hyper 212 or GammaXX 400 should be enough.

My buddy has a 9700K and does not oc. Does lots of photo and video work and his temps peak in the mid to high 70s just doing cpu work. He uses a Dark Rock Pro 4. Which is a lot better than a pos 212. No offense but the 212 is not a good cooler.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

8 minutes ago, freeagent said:

My buddy has a 9700K and does not oc. Does lots of photo and video work and his temps peak in the mid to high 70s just doing cpu work. He uses a Dark Rock Pro 4. Which is a lot better than a pos 212. No offense but the 212 is not a good cooler.

If it's correctly applied (with thermal compound) it does cool at least OC-ed 6700K in my experience. 212 is a value cooler that does it's job. Around lower 80s it was... (Prime 95 Small FFTs)

What case and ram are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case and ram are you using?

An old case that my dad built in... it is ATX but I haven't been hands on with it 

3200 ram

6 hours ago, freeagent said:

Cheap is the name of the game since my budget originally planned on having a stock cooler but things changed. 

39 minutes ago, Reed Green said:

An old case that my dad built in... it is ATX but I haven't been hands on with it 

3200 ram

If you're not sure what it is, can you post photos of it and trying measuring the distance from the socket / motherboard to the side panel? What model ram?

Both are useful to make sure that the cooler won't have any clearance issues. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

14 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

can you post photos of it and trying measuring the distance from the socket / motherboard to the side panel? What model ram?

Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z

I would have been able to measure tonight but now I won't get the case until Christmas when I go to visit.

I am a sucker for sleepers

image000000.jpg

18 hours ago, Reed Green said:
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z

I would have been able to measure tonight but now I won't get the case until Christmas when I go to visit.

I am a sucker for sleepers

Considering a standard atx tower layout, I can probably assume there's at least 125mm and no more than 150mm of clearance for a cooler. 

I recommend double checking to make sure there's enough clearance. The Freezer i13 X is a decent option at 137mm: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/63n8TW/arctic-freezer-i13-x-co-cpu-cooler-acfre00079a

If there isn't enough room, the M9i at 125mm is a safer option: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LPVBD3/cryorig-cpu-cooler-m9i

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I recommend double checking to make sure there's enough clearance.

Thank you for the suggestions. I got another picture of the case and it has vents on the side that I didn't know about and they will help general airflow. I will likely be taking the black funnel off. And from the motherboard it have 7in clearance

image000000(2) (1).jpg

image000000(3).jpg