upgrades

ok so i am wanting to upgrade my cpu. currently have a ryzen 3 3100 and using stock cooler. im on an old b450 matx board from gigabyte, si idk if i can do ryzen 5000 without a bios update. i also dont have to buy now, because im fine with waiting a bit. i should mention im allready planning on upgrading to an AIO watercooler, and have one in mind, so thermals and cooling arent to much of a concern for me. 

other rhings t note i guess:

-whatever cpu it is will be usied with an rtx 2060 ko ultra gaming (the one thats basicaly a cut down 2080 for certain things) and 16gb of ddr4 3200 ram (2 8gb sticks)

-my psu is 650 watts rated 80+ gold. not as much as i like, but the 2060 uses less power then you think, so im not to worried about a cpu drawing to much unless its somthing insane

-prefer to spend less then 450 cad before tax, and another 100 on a new cooler (if its needed)

if you have any recomendations or sudgestions, i would love to hear them!

3 minutes ago, wyliecoyote827 said:

ok so i am wanting to upgrade my cpu. currently have a ryzen 3 3100 and using stock cooler. im on an old b450 matx board from gigabyte, si idk if i can do ryzen 5000 without a bios update. i also dont have to buy now, because im fine with waiting a bit. i should mention im allready planning on upgrading to an AIO watercooler, and have one in mind, so thermals and cooling arent to much of a concern for me. 

other rhings t note i guess:

-whatever cpu it is will be usied with an rtx 2060 ko ultra gaming (the one thats basicaly a cut down 2080 for certain things) and 16gb of ddr4 3200 ram (2 8gb sticks)

-my psu is 650 watts rated 80+ gold. not as much as i like, but the 2060 uses less power then you think, so im not to worried about a cpu drawing to much unless its somthing insane

-prefer to spend less then 450 cad before tax, and another 100 on a new cooler (if its needed)

if you have any recomendations or sudgestions, i would love to hear them!

You need a b550 vs X570 chipset

Any Help is appricated! Please correct me if I´m wrong!

Sorry for grammer/spelling mistakes, but english is not my native language (it´s german in case you were curious) *expand to see builds*

Primary PC: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | GPU: Crossfire Radeon 6870 + 6850 | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 2X16 = 32GB @ 3600MHZ DDR4 | MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F | COOLER: COOLER MASTER ML360R | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB | PSU: GIGABYTE P850GM 80+ GOLD | SDD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB |

Everything thats not colourful I haven't bought yet.

Secondary PC(Currently not operational): CPU:  INTEL Q8200S @ 2.33Ghz | GPU: GTX 750 ti / 760 | RAM: 4X2 = 8GB @ 800MHZ DDR2 OCZ Platinum | MOBO: ASUS P5E-VM SE | COOLER: Be Quiet! Silent Loop 280* | CASE: DEEPCOOL Matrexx 55 V3 ADD-RGB* | PSU: CORSAIR RM850 2019 80+ GOLD* | SSD: CRUCIAL MX500 250GB* 

Everything marked with * is what I bought for the Primary PC and I'm just using it until I get all the parts.

a 3100 pairs well in gaming with a 2060. only upgrade if you do stuff other than gaming.

you can get a 5600x and use it with your current motherboard if you do a bios update.

the 5600x doesn't need a aio, as it's power efficient. the stock cooler is adequate, but if you want something more silent, a cheap aircooler like a gelid phantom or a arctic freezer 34 esports duo will be enough.

8 minutes ago, wyliecoyote827 said:

im on an old b450 matx board from gigabyte, si idk if i can do ryzen 5000 without a bios update

Most B450/X470 motherboards should be getting BIOS updates that support AMD 5000 series CPUs in Q1 of 2021. Depending on the model of the board if it is sufficient enough to power one of the 5000 series CPUs, why not just keep it and use that extra money on the processor or upgrades elsewhere in the system?? 

Getting an air cooler that provides the same performance as an AIO would be better suited. For a processor, go for a 5600X to see improvements. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

i also have around 150 rn to spend on a used cpu. was looking at either a 1700 or a 2600x. leaning towards 2600x, as its more well rounded, but my freinds tell me im stupid to want to upgrade saying that a 2600x and a 1700 are both downgrades. im really not even sure at this point :/