Problem verifying Discord login when using VPN

Hitrate
Go to solution Solved by The_russian,
47 minutes ago, Hitrate said:

they give an error with a red text, as if the password or username was incorrect, but all it was is that I use a VPN & haven't activated two factor or whatever.

You get that message when you logon from a new device or IP address, not specifically because you use a VPN and 2FA has nothing to do with the message. 

Discord just send direct you to a blog post that only guides you to set up two factor authentication, no other way around it.

I don't personally use Discord, but from reading through the email and the linked post, it doesn't look like 2FA is required. Verifying your account with an email is required, but 2FA is only recommended. There should be a button below the link that you use to verify it is you logging in. I've included a pic below of what you should be seeing, click on the blue button that says "Verify Login" instead of the link.

image.png.1ae43069bf5b58b6d8ef1710320226b1.png

Edit 2: This picture is not mine nor OPs, it is just one of the first pictures I found when doing an image search, that's why I didn't remove any information like IP address or location. 

Edit: Before you claim a company is corrupt, make sure what you are claiming is true. You claim there is no way around not enabling 2FA, that is false. You also say companies don't give the option for 2FA for security, but instead to get more of your personal information. If that was true, they would require you to provide a phone number when signing up for an account. Instead they give you an option to provide your information, so that you can add a layer of protection to your account. If you don't want to provide you phone number, that is your decision to make, but don't make objectively false statements or make baseless claims that companies are corrupt because they are trying to inform you that your account may be compromised. 

Just got this message from Discord when trying to login to LTT forums using their service, they give an error with a red text, as if the password or username was incorrect, but all it was is that I use a VPN & haven't activated two factor or whatever. Steam has for years been able to figure out sending a simple text code to your email, which you use to verify it's actually you, but Discord just send direct you to a blog post that only guides you to set up two factor authentication, no other way around it.

Hey xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

It looks like someone tried to log into your Discord account from a new location. If this is you, follow the link below to authorize logging in from this location on your account. If this isn't you, we suggest changing your password as soon as possible.

IP Address: xxxxxxxxxxx

P.S. We highly recommend you set up two factor authentication on your account. Learn more at: https://blog.discord.com/keeping-discord-safe-and-sound-b5db96fbadb3

they give an error with a red text, as if the password or username was incorrect, but all it was is that I use a VPN & haven't activated two factor or whatever.

You get that message when you logon from a new device or IP address, not specifically because you use a VPN and 2FA has nothing to do with the message. 

Discord just send direct you to a blog post that only guides you to set up two factor authentication, no other way around it.

I don't personally use Discord, but from reading through the email and the linked post, it doesn't look like 2FA is required. Verifying your account with an email is required, but 2FA is only recommended. There should be a button below the link that you use to verify it is you logging in. I've included a pic below of what you should be seeing, click on the blue button that says "Verify Login" instead of the link.

Edit 2: This picture is not mine nor OPs, it is just one of the first pictures I found when doing an image search, that's why I didn't remove any information like IP address or location. 

Edit: Before you claim a company is corrupt, make sure what you are claiming is true. You claim there is no way around not enabling 2FA, that is false. You also say companies don't give the option for 2FA for security, but instead to get more of your personal information. If that was true, they would require you to provide a phone number when signing up for an account. Instead they give you an option to provide your information, so that you can add a layer of protection to your account. If you don't want to provide you phone number, that is your decision to make, but don't make objectively false statements or make baseless claims that companies are corrupt because they are trying to inform you that your account may be compromised. 

15 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Strange, that Verify Login button wasn't showing underneath the link, and no such button on the blog post, hence I thought it may be. Which is why I included the word PROBABLY in the TITLE OF THIS POST !

Anyway tried looking again and now the button is showing, link was expired, tried again, got another email like the first one this time the Verify Login button was showing and it's also showing in the original e-mail. So ya anyway I was just flabbergasted that there wasn't a way to verify without the 2FA BS surveillance program. Now unless there's a law against expressing personal opinion, I don't see any fault in calling out potential fraud, scams, corruption etc. if anything it should be apllauded, as should your investigative help be applauded so we can avoid being trapped in a 1984 society.

24 minutes ago, The_russian said:

delete the post your leaking his ip address

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

delete the post your leaking his ip address

That's just a picture I found on Google to show the "Verify Login" button, the IP address and location are unrelated to me and the OP.

1 minute ago, The_russian said:

That's just a picture I found on Google to show the "Verify Login" button, the IP address and location are unrelated to me and the OP.

oh ok, was just making sure