Faulty Ryzen 5800x CPU Australian RMA Process

James-N

Hey everyone,

Just yesterday my PC randomly froze while I was browsing the web and I started getting B.S.O.D. I got errors such as crypto library internal error and critical process died. At first i thought it was a driver issue and at first I was able to successfully roll back drivers. It was working for another couple of hours until I went downstairs to watch a movie. When i came back up, my PC was turned off and I realised that I could no longer boot. I started troubleshooting each component and figured it was my CPU. I confirmed this by testing with my friends CPU which my PC then booted up. I am now looking to return my CPU to the retailer (I'm from Australia). I was wondering if any Aussies on here who have purchased through Mwave who can help me through this process. So far i have made a claim to AMD RMA and also a warranty/refund claim to Mwave. In this case does anyone know if I am allowed a refund/replacement straight away, or will I have to wait for them to test faults e.t.c and send my CPU to AMD before getting a new one? Btw I did not overclock..

Any help/advice would be appreciated :).

Thanks.

11 minutes ago, James-N said:

Hey everyone,

Just yesterday my PC randomly froze while I was browsing the web and I started getting B.S.O.D. I got errors such as crypto library internal error and critical process died. At first i thought it was a driver issue and at first I was able to successfully roll back drivers. It was working for another couple of hours until I went downstairs to watch a movie. When i came back up, my PC was turned off and I realised that I could no longer boot. I started troubleshooting each component and figured it was my CPU. I confirmed this by testing with my friends CPU which my PC then booted up. I am now looking to return my CPU to the retailer (I'm from Australia). I was wondering if any Aussies on here who have purchased through Mwave who can help me through this process. So far i have made a claim to AMD RMA and also a warranty/refund claim to Mwave. In this case does anyone know if I am allowed a refund/replacement straight away, or will I have to wait for them to test faults e.t.c and send my CPU to AMD before getting a new one? Btw I did not overclock..

Any help/advice would be appreciated :).

Thanks.

You didn't buy directly from AMD, you will have to go to the vendor that you bought the cpu from for RMA. They will provide you with the steps. Not sure what consumer law in Australia is like, but they didn't release long ago and should get you a replacement. 

2 hours ago, James-N said:

crypto library internal error

That sounds strange to me, could it be like a virus?

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

8 hours ago, EspinalAndres said:

That sounds strange to me, could it be like a virus?

I don't think so. My friend's CPU works and after some researching, I found out if I disable all cores except for 1, my PC boots up. It has to the the CPU

1 hour ago, James-N said:

I don't think so. My friend's CPU works and after some researching, I found out if I disable all cores except for 1, my PC boots up. It has to the the CPU

I had a similar issue with a 3rd gen i5 a while back and all but confirmed it using memtest86 that frozw unless i diaabled all but 1 core.

1 hour ago, ragnarok0273 said:

What, you don't want a single-core system?

Games only need 1 core, am i rite?

29 minutes ago, LauRoman said:

I had a similar issue with a 3rd gen i5 a while back and all but confirmed it using memtest86 that frozw unless i diaabled all but 1 core.

So you just replaced the CPU? Did you find out the cause ?

2 hours ago, James-N said:

So you just replaced the CPU? Did you find out the cause ?

Not 100% sure, but i think it may have been related to the memory controller on the cpu, because of the limited tests i did then, it never crashed during short-ish cpu intensive tasks, only with a high number of browser tabs or a surveilance software i was using at the time that was memoey intensive.

I ended up swapping it with a socket and motherboard compatible xeon-w and it has not crashed since, but the cpu did crash when used in the system the xeon came from.

Your problem may be similar to mine but it also may not. Before jumping to conclusions, i would advise removing any other pci devices from your machine other than the gpu since that ryzen has no igpu. That does include m.2 or u.2 drives and things like mini pcie or m.2 wifi cards not just regular pci devices and test the system with each ram stick in each dimm slot. Might also want to turn off any auto OC setting like DOCP or any kind of cpu boost. Because i more recently had crashes in a skylake system and after a lot of trial and error, it was because of a cheap pci-usb3 controller, even though a lot of the symptimps were similar to the faulty i5.