Transfer Windows license to new PC/mother board

Masha

Hi

So I just ordered a new motherboard and, I'm trying to figure out how to move my current Windows 10 license. 

I've seen articles like this (https://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-windows-10-license-new-pc/), and it seems like it should be possible. The problem is that I have a Windows 7 license and upgraded for free to W10, and I don't know if I can reuse the W7 activation key to activate W10. This article claims it is possible https://www.howtogeek.com/266072/you-can-still-get-windows-10-for-free-with-a-windows-7-8-or-8.1-key/

Have any of you tried this? Or am I just wasting my time and have to buy a new W10 license? (or simply learn to live with Linux)

Should be possible.

However, the more convenient (in my opinion) way to do this is to make sure you're logged in with a Microsoft account, and then when your new motherboard comes, just go to windows and click the "having trouble activating" button (not sure exactly what it says, but it's something along those lines).

Then it will ask if you have made a recent hardware change. Click yes, and it will automatically transfer the license between motherboards.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Should be possible.

However, the more convenient (in my opinion) way to do this is to make sure you're logged in with a Microsoft account, and then when your new motherboard comes, just go to windows and click the "having trouble activating" button (not sure exactly what it says, but it's something along those lines).

Then it will ask if you have made a recent hardware change. Click yes, and it will automatically transfer the license between motherboards.

Thanks, I did not know about this method! Will this be a problem if I'm logged on with the same account on both a laptop and my current desktop? Will this method "know" which license key to use so I don't screw up my laptop?

Just now, Masha said:

Thanks, I did not know about this method! Will this be a problem if I'm logged on with the same account on both a laptop and my current desktop? Will this method "know" which license key to use so I don't screw up my laptop?

Not sure about that. It might allow you to pick which motherboard you revoke the license from? IDK

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Not sure about that. It might allow you to pick which motherboard you revoke the license from? IDK

Hmm okay. I will just try and hope for the best since Microsofts tech support is near impossible to contact :). I "fear" I have a lot of time to figure this out as I ordered a Ryzen 5600X...