XFX 5700XT Thicc III Watercooling Setup (What Is Needed for the Basics)

Go to solution Solved by GhostRoadieBL,
30 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Is there a generic guideline or list needed to tick off what is needed to complete the water loop?

to go through the parts:

Pump - for a single card loop pretty much anything from a water cooling parts shop will do, if it has molded fittings you can save on buying fittings as long as they match your tube ID)

Reservoir - small reservoir will be plenty, or find a pump/res combo which will usually be the best option.

GPU block - you already know what you want

Radiator- 240mm or 360mm will need 2 fittings, one inlet and one outlet, typically they come with plugs if there are more than one set of openings. 

Fittings - let's say you use pump/res, rad, gpu block. that's 2 for the pump/res, 2 for the rad, 2 for the gpu block so 6 total. 

Tubing - depending on the diameter of your fittings it will determine your tubing, for a small loop like this diameter of tubing makes little to no difference so just match the fittings

Fluid - any pre-mixed will do (easiest), or distilled water but then you'll need an anti corrosive and bio-inhibitor to make sure the loop doesn't grow bacteria or wear away your components. 

biggest thing is know your metals! If you have a copper/nickel block, get a copper rad, if it's an aluminum block get an aluminum rad and good luck finding fittings other than PVC which won't corrode away. 

The nickel plating will wear away over time so be sure of the metals under the nickel before building the loop.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

use this to pick out the parts list and just shop around for what works for your loop

Hi everyone. I'm looking to install a water block on the XFX THICC III 5700XT GPU. While I have already taken it apart and put it back together for curiosity's sake, I'm now looking to install the water block with a radiator and pump in my system. I have space for a 240mm Radiator or a 360mm Radiator in the Be quiet! Pure Base 500 tempered glass case. A quick search on YouTube doesn't show any results for my specific card to what is needed in terms of components, fittings and such. Is there a generic guideline or list needed to tick off what is needed to complete the water loop? The idea is to mount either a 240mm to the top of the case or a 360mm radiator to the front of the case and run it to the pump and GPU water block. 

If anyone could provide specifics or just some information on what I need to get started, please feel free.

This is the Water Block I intend to order off Alpha Cool > https://www.alphacool.com/shop/gpu-water-cooler/amd-fullsize/25912/alphacool-eisblock-aurora-acryl-gpx-a-radeon-rx-5700-xt-thicc-ii/iii

Capture.PNG.dcb30673ec4541e5ca4c0214b043763d.PNG

What I am seeing is there are two versions of this card. “Ultra” and non ultra. What would matter is if one or either of them is a reference design.  I can’t find any information one way or the other.   If it’s a reference design a reference block will work.  If it’s not it won’t. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

30 minutes ago, SamtheMan101 said:

Is there a generic guideline or list needed to tick off what is needed to complete the water loop?

to go through the parts:

Pump - for a single card loop pretty much anything from a water cooling parts shop will do, if it has molded fittings you can save on buying fittings as long as they match your tube ID)

Reservoir - small reservoir will be plenty, or find a pump/res combo which will usually be the best option.

GPU block - you already know what you want

Radiator- 240mm or 360mm will need 2 fittings, one inlet and one outlet, typically they come with plugs if there are more than one set of openings. 

Fittings - let's say you use pump/res, rad, gpu block. that's 2 for the pump/res, 2 for the rad, 2 for the gpu block so 6 total. 

Tubing - depending on the diameter of your fittings it will determine your tubing, for a small loop like this diameter of tubing makes little to no difference so just match the fittings

Fluid - any pre-mixed will do (easiest), or distilled water but then you'll need an anti corrosive and bio-inhibitor to make sure the loop doesn't grow bacteria or wear away your components. 

biggest thing is know your metals! If you have a copper/nickel block, get a copper rad, if it's an aluminum block get an aluminum rad and good luck finding fittings other than PVC which won't corrode away. 

The nickel plating will wear away over time so be sure of the metals under the nickel before building the loop.

https://www.ekwb.com/custom-loop-configurator/

use this to pick out the parts list and just shop around for what works for your loop

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

-> Moved to Custom Loop and Exotic Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

just a follow up to my own question, I have found an alternative (sort of). Apparently Alphacool actually have prebuilt AIO GPU Waterblocks, with no additional equipment needed. Thinking of purchasing this and swapping the fans out with my bequiet pure wings 3 pwm fans. Still waiting on their reply to know if its compatible with my version of the 5700XT XFX THICC III GPU.

https://www.au.aquatuning.com/water-cooling/kits-systems-and-aios/all-in-one-gpu/27138/alphacool-eiswolf-2-aio-240mm-radeon-rx-5700/5700xt-reference?c=23048

Edited by SamtheMan101
link added to prduct

• 5 months later...
On 11/23/2020 at 1:45 AM, SamtheMan101 said:

just a follow up to my own question, I have found an alternative (sort of). Apparently Alphacool actually have prebuilt AIO GPU Waterblocks, with no additional equipment needed. Thinking of purchasing this and swapping the fans out with my bequiet pure wings 3 pwm fans. Still waiting on their reply to know if its compatible with my version of the 5700XT XFX THICC III GPU.

https://www.au.aquatuning.com/water-cooling/kits-systems-and-aios/all-in-one-gpu/27138/alphacool-eiswolf-2-aio-240mm-radeon-rx-5700/5700xt-reference?c=23048

Did you ever get an answer?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 3:37 AM, ssnazzy said:

Did you ever get an answer?

Yes. After a month or so when this thread was up they replied it isn’t compatible with the thicc III. Only the water block itself is. I’ll be doing a waterblock installation soon when I have time. All the necessary parts etc pump and res combo, tubes, radiator + fans need to also be purchased