My Humble Build

xgmadmatt

My name is Matt, and I grew up in Lansing, MI. Back in the mid-late 90's we used to have computer stores, not just like Compu USA or Best Buy. We had local computer stores where you could walk in and talk to knowledgeable people about hardware and software and they could sell you anything from a PCI backplate cover to replace the one you tore out of the wrong slot to a full system custom built to your own specifications and everything in between. We also had computer shows where  vendors from all over the country would bring in their latest and greatest gadgets and hardware and we would spend Sunday afternoons walking around with our jaws hanging open at all of the exciting possibilities. Now days, I don't even know where to start looking for such an experience.

I started off when I was a teenager and all I ever had was part time job money to throw at it. I managed to beg some from my parents but usually on loan terms. I managed to cobble together a Cyrix 200 with 16MB of ram and a 400MB hard drive running Windows 98. With a Trident 2MB video card and a 2X CD-Rom. I managed to run Command and Conquer and Age of Empires on that thing. I spent a little over $300 to cobble that together plus my Dad threw in $50 to help me out. It wasn't crazy fast or exciting but it worked and it did the job I needed it for. I could never have afforded the intel equivalent board and chip...

Then as gaming grew and things like full motion video and mpeg decoding started becoming the norm, I had to find ways to upgrade and keep up. For that, I have almost always turned to AMD. Yes, I am a fan boy. No, I'm not going to argue about who has the best or fastest. When I worked at the computer store, we used to have dick swinging contests over who had the more power computer. I used to have a manager that every time I upgraded, he upgraded to the level above what I could afford. I got used to never being the fastest. However, I also got used to building great performing computers that do what I ask of them. I don't think of AMD as infallible or as a religion as some seem to. I think of them as I do my Sketchers, probably not the best shoes on the market, but I can afford them and for me, they are very comfortable. It's not that I won't try on another shoe, it's that even when I do, I find both Sketcher's and AMD to be well within my comfort zone in terms of price and what I expect out of the product. I won't lie either, my i7 laptop with the 1060 in it made me very happy as well. But what made me happier was upgrading my AMD build so that it could run even better without having to spend another $1400.

So here's my latest build. Just upgraded it today.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

Gigabyte Aorus X470 MB

16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz

Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX580 8GB - brand new

Corsair 256GB SSD

2 X 1TB WD Green Drives in a 2TB RAID 0

Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Liteon 3D Blu-Ray R/W with Lightscribe 

Rosewill Blackhawk Gaming Computer Case (2012)

Rosewill 750watt 80 Bronze Power Supply

Sceptre 32" 3D LED TV at 1080P 

Logitech G710+ Gaming Mechanical Keyboard

Logitech G502 Gaming Mouse

Logitech 5.1 Surround Speakers

I know it's not the fastest, or the greatest. The RX 580 I just got today is 3 years old technology wise. But my monitor is only 1080P for gaming and I didn't have a whole lot of extra money to spend. I just wanted something that would work. This computer can game at 1080P High or better settings in most games. Paired with my 3600X so far it's giving me formidable benchmarks, even against 2020 hardware. It's making me very happy for what I spent on it. I remember back in the day when the difference between spending $200 on a video card and $400 on a video card meant you were missing out on something pretty huge. Right now, I'm not seeing it. At least not with the peripherals I have. 

This computer can also play 3D movies in stereoscopic 3D (with passive glasses) on my Sceptre 3D LED TV/Monitor. I can also burn Blu-Ray discs, DVDs, CDs, including 3D Blu-Ray movies. It offers true 5.1 surround sound and my 8 year old case has a very unique feature that is so unique and has been so handy I can't bear to part with it. It has an External SATA connector with power and a sloped tray so you can plug in SATA hard drives right into the top of the case. As a PC repair technician this is extremely handy for backing up customer's files before restore or formating their drives. It also allows for external drive scanning for viruses and such. It's just so handy I can't bring myself to get rid of it despite the crack in the glass.

So that's my build. Not all of us Fan Boys are insane or unreasonable. Sometimes we are just satisfied customers. I also own Intel powered laptops and they are just as fantastic. My Surface Book was my best friend for 2 years, it almost never left my side. But when it comes to building them and for building them affordably, I just can't pull myself out of AMD's stables. You might say I was suckered into buying the FX 8150. I never had a problem with it. In fact it lasted me 5 years until I started upgrading again. 

img_20200405_010052481.jpg

IMG_20201121_160654176.jpg

IMG_20201121_160708214.jpg

4 minutes ago, xgmadmatt said:

The RX 580 I just got today is 3 years old technology wise. But my monitor is only 1080P

nothing wrong with a classic RX 580, especially a sapphire model. I'll be recommending a used RX 580 for as long as it can pull off 1080p 60fps gaming comfortably. (basically until the end of time, is what it feels like)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

image.thumb.png.3925c6ba6940b8e2512d5f3493617e9e.png

I'm still benching her but I'm not unhappy at all with these results. I can live with this while I save some more bucks for that RX 6800. lol

Part 2: Son of the Humble Build

So my Son got to build his own computer for his birthday using my old parts and some new ones he got as gifts. I thought it appropriate to list it here since some of his components came from the above build literally making it a child computer. Craziness but also fun!

What he got was this:

MSI Mini ITX AMD B450 with Wifi (this thing is tiny)

AMD Ryzen 5 2600

ROG Strix Radeon RX 570 4GB

16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz

256GB Team SSD

2TB Seagate Barracuda

Rosewill Prism M RGB enabled Mid Tower

650w ThermalTake 80 Bronze Power Supply

Haven't had a chance to bench it yet but i'm pretty sure it will hit pretty close to where mine is. It turned out pretty sweet. Definitely better looking than mine.

IMG_20201115_174625579 (1).jpg

• 1 month later...

Spruced her up with a $35 set of RGB Fans. Not bad. Hard to take a clear picture of but she sure looks good in person.There is a crack in my window panel I'd like to fix or replace it rather than buy a new case as I was originally planning. All she needed was a good cleaning, a little re-wiring, and some new fans and she looks fantastic. Runs like a dream too. I think she's a full fledged 1080P Gaming Rig at this point and proudly so. 

IMG_20201230_211154036.jpg

IMG_20201230_203537190.jpg

Nice rigs. I used to sell AMD CPUs and systems back in the late 90s. Now in a corporate IT world I am aligned with team blue. Including my home rig - also not the greatest but does all I need. Looking at your story I think we must be similar ages give or take a few years. I was born in 1980. It's impossible to be the fastest all the time unless you have silly money laying around but you generally find people with plenty of money don't waste it on buying a new pc every year - that's why they have so much money!

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

• 9 months later...

Status Update: She's not so humble anymore.

After a few months of sitting on a waiting list I was able to get a modern GPU at MSRP.

I also finally pulled the trigger on that R5 5600X

While I was waiting I upgraded my SSD and hard drives.

My final build

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6C12T@ 3.7GHz-4.75GHz
GIGABYTE AORUS AMD X470 Ultra Gaming Mainboard
G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 CL16 3200MHz RGB
EVGA GEFORCE 3060 XC GAMING 12GB @1882MHz-2100MHz
WESTERN DIGITAL Black SN750 NVME M.2 500GB SSD OS
TOSHIBA X300 6TB HDD WITH 256MB Cache 7200RPM Games
SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB HDD 7200RPM Storage
LITEON Blu-Ray RW Optical
HTC VIVE
LOGITECH 5.1 Speakers
LOGITECH G710+ Gaming Keyboard
LOGITECH G502 Gaming Mouse
WESTINGHOUSE 32" VA LED 1440P @ 144Hz

I have Resizable Bar, Ray Tracing, and DLSS. Would've preferred a 6700XT, 6800, 3060 TI, or 3070 but I got what I got. I'm pushing it at 1440P and it is getting the job done well. My son got my old parts

Son of a Humble Build:

MSI Mini ITX AMD B450 with Wifi (this thing is tiny)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

ROG Strix Radeon RX 580 8GB

256GB Team SSD

2TB Seagate Barracuda

I have the computer I've always wanted. My son has computer he can be proud of. Win win in my book. 

• 10 months later...

Last update, I promise lol. I'm making a lot more money than I was when I was younger and something about the Ryzen 7 5800X3D was calling out to me so I spent entirely too much money on one to upgrade from my 5600X which was really not having any trouble at all. I admit that the gains were marginal considering I'm running a 3060Ti. I will say though that I can feel the difference between the two chips. I am talking about half a second here, half a second there, maybe a second or two over there but it's enough that it makes my computer feel even zippier than it did before and it just seems more solid overall. This is anecdotal but it feels like nothing ever hesitates anymore when I engage a program or a game. I'm pretty sure it wasn't worth what I spent for it considering what I did have, however, at the same time I'm not giving it back either. 

So here she is, final specs, top of the ladder for her aging x470 chipset. I could sink more into a new GPU or get new MB or faster RAM but she does 60+ FPS (Often much better than) in 1440P Ultra settings in AAA games with RTX and DLSS options to boot.  I'm really pleased with how she turned out.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 

Gigabyte Aorus AMD X470 Ultra Gaming Mainboard
G.SKILL Trident 32GB DDR4 CL16 3200MHz RGB
EVGA Geforce 3060 Ti XC 12GB @1882MHz-2100MHz
Western Digital Black SN750 NVME M.2 500GB SSD OS
Toshiba X300 6TB HDD with 256MB Cache 7200RPM Games
Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD 7200RPM Storage
Lite-on Blu-Ray RW Optical
HTC Vive
Logitech 5.1 Speakers
Logitech G910 Orion Spark Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G903 Lightspeed Gaming Mouse

Logitech Powerplay Mousepad
Westinghouse 32" VA LED 1440P @ 144Hz

Son of a Humble Build got some upgrades too:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X

MSI AMD B550 Pro with WiFi

POWER COLOR Radeon RX 6600 8GB 

256GB Team SSD

2TB Seagate Barracuda

Logitech G205 RBG Gaming Mouse

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Gaming Keyboard 

Various 1080 Monitors

We bought the new motherboard due to an error in troubleshooting but it didn't cost a terrible amount and we really hated that ITX form factor, especially considering that he has an ATX case so we just went with it. This computer can run 60+ FPS 1080P at Ultra settings in AAA games with no issues. At current prices Son of a Humble Build can be built for under $1000 USD including OS but maybe a little more depending on quality of monitor.

Not So Humble (anymore) Build cost around $2000-$2200 and even during the shortage and price insanity, thanks to the EVGA wishlist program, only MSRP or better prices were paid for all parts. 

I hope this inspires someone to build their own dream rig. Both of these computers do what they were built to do very well and they look good while doing it, I don't know what more I could ask for. Happy building.

i would get my dads hamy downs too, then we both got in to custom wc. one point almost had the same pc. good times.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links