Installing RTX 3090 heatsink on a cpu (small form factor)

Yuki-Heart

Assuming one could get ahold of a rtx 3090 cooler and also modify it to mount. Would it be viable to try to cool a cpu with it in a small form factor case? I know alot of cpus in sff cases suffer from small coolers because of height restrictions, however since most people move the gpu around anyways you have alot of room to go over the pcie slot, especially if one makes there own case. Would it be more effective then say... A noctua L9A cooler?

PS. If I ever manage to find a 3090 heatsink online somewhere and buy it. (Assuming people find this somewhat viable) I’d happily try to do this for myself and post the results.

The cooler is pretty long and would interfere with the VRM and the rear I/O, and probably on the otherwise as well since most SFF cases are only big enough to contain an ITX motherboard and don't much extra room around it. Even if you could somehow get it to fit and not interfere with anything, there is still the problem of the dual fans. The fans are in a push/pull configuration and there is no PCB behind one of the fans for the 3000 series cards, so unless your motherboard has a big hole in it in exactly the spot needed for some reason, one of the fans won't really be doing anything. 

12 minutes ago, The_russian said:

The cooler is pretty long and would interfere with the VRM and the rear I/O, and probably on the otherwise as well since most SFF cases are only big enough to contain an ITX motherboard and don't much extra room around it. Even if you could somehow get it to fit and not interfere with anything, there is still the problem of the dual fans. The fans are in a push/pull configuration and there is no PCB behind one of the fans for the 3000 series cards, so unless your motherboard has a big hole in it in exactly the spot needed for some reason, one of the fans won't really be doing anything. 

I hear you on this but Im arguing it would go straight down and over the pcie slot on a mini itx board, And assuming you use a riser card, the gpu wouldnt get in the way and youd be able to flow air behind the motherboard. My mobo has nothing above the height of the fan pins in both directions vertically. Couldn’t you also put the fans in any configuration you wanted too? (I checked with my 3070 just now and it would absolutely manage to clear the motherboard and get air past.)

6 minutes ago, Yuki-Heart said:

I hear you on this but Im arguing it would go straight down and over the pcie slot on a mini itx board,

I think you might be underestimating the size of the 3090 cooler. A Mini-ITX motherboard is 170mm x 170mm while a 3090 is 313mm x 138mm. It is almost twice as long. Ignoring the other problems, you also need a way to mount the cooler to the cpu with even pressure across the IHS. It's not a good idea, there's a reason people don't do something like this. 

2 minutes ago, The_russian said:

I think you might be underestimating the size of the 3090 cooler. A Mini-ITX motherboard is 170mm x 170mm while a 3090 is 313mm x 138mm. It is almost twice as long. Ignoring the other problems, you also need a way to mount the cooler to the cpu with even pressure across the IHS. It's not a good idea, there's a reason people don't do something like this. 

Tbf I’m also a little dumb and go way over the top designing stuff to work with very little reason other then to make it work lol.

If you could somehow get it to work, it would definitely be better than a NH-L9a. An AIO would probably be better though.

Moved to Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.