Can you overclock the r5 3600x by 2ghz with the stock cooler

Doggyroar82

I was going to get the cooler master hyper evo 212 black edition but i heard that you can still overclock with the stock cooler. (is this true?)

Are you asking whether you can get your 3600X to 6GHz with its stock cooler?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

The 3600x has a base clock of 3.8GHz, so are you asking if you'd be able to overclock it to 5.8GHz using the stock cooler?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

you want a 5.8ghz base  3600x, on a stock cooler?!? The golden sample 10900k's with a CryoCooler reach like 5.7ghz boosts!!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

The 3600x has a base clock of 3.8GHz, so are you asking if you'd be able to overclock it to 5.8GHz using the stock cooler?

SRY as my profile pic says i am just a noob i ment to say .2ghz

Ah.

Makes more sense now :)
So a 4 GHz overclock...

Maybe. If you get really lucky and get the coldest of all 3600X chips, then totally. 

elephants

42 minutes ago, Doggyroar82 said:

SRY as my profile pic says i am just a noob i ment to say .2ghz

You can still oc with the stock cooler but it's not recommended, and it's also a lot harder to get it stable. 

Also at this point you have to ask yourself why. Boredom, wanting to learn something new, sure. But you won't really get noticeable gains from a tiny oc. At all. 

So a cooler is recommended therefore. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

what are you doing with that computer? id recommend load optimized defaults for gaming and if u can ram overclocking. for production maybe undervolting/"overclocking" which means fixing the cores somewhere arround 4,1-4,2.

if u have no clue what you do, just load optimized defaults in bios and forget about it.