Premiere PRO: using a 2nd (even 3rd) SSD to optimize workflow?

AntiSpiral

Hellou there!!

So I've been checking online ways to increase the performance of working with Premiere, and I've seen than some people use a secondary EXCLUSIVE NVMe just to locate all project files, and some even a third one just for the Cache files.

My question now is: how much of a difference is from going one single NVMe to two or three?? Right now I've a 970 EVO Plus for everything.

Maybe I should mention that my video editing skills are very basic, and so my workflow. Also I record in 4K with my Sony a6300

Thanks in advance! ❤️

This always depends on what you are doing with your footage and at what settings you record and edit. Also depends on how big the projectfiles and footage is.

If you record at 4K but edit at 1080p your needed performance will be lower. 

But even if you recod and edit at 4k a normal SSD should be enough. Premiere doesnt like big videofiles. But make sure to set all the disk settings to your 970 EVO Plus. 

Im editiing on a ryzen 1700x @ 4K  60 FPS and my bottleneck is not my SSD but my CPU and the sheer size of the files + RAM. 

But you can try to give premiere more memory in the settings AND set the disk settings to your 970 Plus for faster performance

So unless you are editing with huge uncompressed files i wouldnt recommend getting a second ssd/nvme. 

Edited by flo_306

7 hours ago, flo_306 said:

This always depends on what you are doing with your footage and at what settings you record and edit. Also depends on how big the projectfiles and footage is.

If you record at 4K but edit at 1080p your needed performance will be lower. 

But even if you recod and edit at 4k a normal SSD should be enough. Premiere doesnt like big videofiles. But make sure to set all the disk settings to your 970 EVO Plus. 

Im editiing on a ryzen 1700x @ 4K  60 FPS and my bottleneck is not my SSD but my CPU and the sheer size of the files + RAM. 

But you can try to give premiere more memory in the settings AND set the disk settings to your 970 Plus for faster performance

So unless you are editing with huge uncompressed files i wouldnt recommend getting a second ssd/nvme. 

I'm doing recording in 4K but my timeline is in 1080p at this point. So according to what you said maybe it's a bit pointless to go for a 2nd NVMe. I also have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 16Gb of RAM 

On 11/17/2020 at 9:15 PM, AntiSpiral said:

I'm doing recording in 4K but my timeline is in 1080p at this point. So according to what you said maybe it's a bit pointless to go for a 2nd NVMe. I also have a Ryzen 7 1700 with 16Gb of RAM 

Well then ur bottleneck isnt your NVME. 
Its more your CPU and RAM