Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT ... Boost speeds vs what is showing in MSI Afterburner

idontlikephysx

Anyone notice that with their Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT or other video cards that the boost speeds are lower than what is showing as stock in MSI Afterburner?  The card I have is to boost up to 1925 MHz but MSI Afterburner is showing 2090 MHz.  Now the thing is does MSI Afterburner show what my card can max. at based on certain things?  Is that what the 2090 MHz number is?  Here is a shot of it below ...

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT in MSI Afterburner.jpg
Also will say I would appreciate a simple write up to try and overclock this card.  I haven't done well looking at videos for it so far.  Been a long time since I overclocked anything.

4 minutes ago, idontlikephysx said:

The card I have is to boost up to 1925 MHz but MSI Afterburner is showing 2090 MHz.

it's quite common for GPUs to boost above their advertised speeds these days. Take nvidia cards for example, with GPU boost. an RTX 2080 from EVGA might advertise a speed of 1845MHz but will commonly boost above 1900MHz or even 2GHz if you're lucky.

free performance seems to come easy these days, if you're cooling the card appropriately.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 hours ago, idontlikephysx said:

Anyone notice that with their Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT or other video cards that the boost speeds are lower than what is showing as stock in MSI Afterburner?  The card I have is to boost up to 1925 MHz but MSI Afterburner is showing 2090 MHz.  Now the thing is does MSI Afterburner show what my card can max. at based on certain things?  Is that what the 2090 MHz number is?  Here is a shot of it below ...

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT in MSI Afterburner.jpg
Also will say I would appreciate a simple write up to try and overclock this card.  I haven't done well looking at videos for it so far.  Been a long time since I overclocked anything.

The default driver is targeting 2090, but I doubt it will reach that speed.  I have the same card same settings.   Testing with superposition it hits around low- mid 1900s speed, never gets close to 2090.  I manually undervolts and overclocked the card to 2000mhz at 1.07v.   Runs faster and cooler than the default.  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man