Some games restart my computer with new graphics card

GeeButtersnaps

I just got and RTX 3090 Founders Edition and installed it. I tried to boot up Call of Duty Modern warfare but after a few minutes my entire pc just shut down and restarted. I then ran the game again and pulled up MSI Afterburner and Coretemp and I didn't see anything to be concerned about there (GPU was in the low to mid 40°s and my highest CPU core was at 56°)  and after a trying to start up a practice match the pc crashed again. After booting the game in safe mode I was able to change the resolution to 4k but when I tried to max out the settings the pc crashed again when clicking apply. This has happened several times with this game and also once on Borderlands 3, strangely I was able to boot up Rogue Company with no issue and even run Control and max out all settings with ray tracing  and DLSS on and it seemed to run no problem.

I have so far tried changing which socket on my modular power supply the GPU power cables are plugged into as well as switching out the power cables. I also updated my bios just to be safe. My initial thought would be that this is somehow a power supply issue but this power supply is only a couple months old and it is an 850w power supply which should be more than enough for my 3090+I7-10700k unless the power supply is faulty. With the inclusion of this 3090 the entire build is all new and was working fine until the inclusion of the graphics card.

To clarify the computer shuts off to black screen and all lights on the computer go off and then instantly restarts 1-3 seconds later. I'd really appreciate any help on this, I'm really hoping I don't have to send the card back because I doubt they'll bea able to send a replacement.

• OS - Windows 10 x64
  • CPU - I7-10700k
  • GPU - Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8gb DDR4 3600
  • MotherBoard - ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
  • Power Supply - EVGA SuperNova 850w ga 

2 minutes ago, GeeButtersnaps said:

I just got and RTX 3090 Founders Edition and installed it. I tried to boot up Call of Duty Modern warfare but after a few minutes my entire pc just shut down and restarted. I then ran the game again and pulled up MSI Afterburner and Coretemp and I didn't see anything to be concerned about there (GPU was in the low to mid 40°s and my highest CPU core was at 56°)  and after a trying to start up a practice match the pc crashed again. After booting the game in safe mode I was able to change the resolution to 4k but when I tried to max out the settings the pc crashed again when clicking apply. This has happened several times with this game and also once on Borderlands 3, strangely I was able to boot up Rogue Company with no issue and even run Control and max out all settings with ray tracing  and DLSS on and it seemed to run no problem.

I have so far tried changing which socket on my modular power supply the GPU power cables are plugged into as well as switching out the power cables. I also updated my bios just to be safe. My initial thought would be that this is somehow a power supply issue but this power supply is only a couple months old and it is an 850w power supply which should be more than enough for my 3090+I7-10700k unless the power supply is faulty. With the inclusion of this 3090 the entire build is all new and was working fine until the inclusion of the graphics card.

To clarify the computer shuts off to black screen and all lights on the computer go off and then instantly restarts 1-3 seconds later. I'd really appreciate any help on this, I'm really hoping I don't have to send the card back because I doubt they'll bea able to send a replacement.

• OS - Windows 10 x64
  • CPU - I7-10700k
  • GPU - Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
  • RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8gb DDR4 3600
  • MotherBoard - ROG STRIX Z490-F GAMING
  • Power Supply - EVGA SuperNova 850w ga 

Might be the psu but i'm not 100% sure

Sounds like overcurrent protection triggering on your power supply, probably due to the short bursts in power draw the 3090 is known for. Does your power supply have 3 separate PCI-e power cables, or do you end up having to run an 8+8 on a single cable? Not that it matters, but if your power supply has more than one 12 volt rail you will need to split the load across the different rails or else the power supply will get overloaded on a single rail and trigger overcurrent protection. I haven't looked into your power supply specifically, I'll leave that up to you since I don't have exact SKU codes or anything like that.

17 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Sounds like overcurrent protection triggering on your power supply, probably due to the short bursts in power draw the 3090 is known for. Does your power supply have 3 separate PCI-e power cables, or do you end up having to run an 8+8 on a single cable? Not that it matters, but if your power supply has more than one 12 volt rail you will need to split the load across the different rails or else the power supply will get overloaded on a single rail and trigger overcurrent protection. I haven't looked into your power supply specifically, I'll leave that up to you since I don't have exact SKU codes or anything like that.

My power supply is modular it has 4 different places to plug in vga cables, I ran 2 cables into the adapter provided with the founders edition as well as using the 12pin EVGA cable I bought separately that plugs into 2 separate sockets on the power supply. As for the rails I'd consider myself a pretty amateur builder, I know where everything goes but not exactly how it works and that part went mostly over my head.

This is the power supply I'm using https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WSXQTD9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Capture.PNG

https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=2f6f8f6b-caa9-4474-9e5a-dcba19e07a22
looking at their spec sheet it doesn't seem like it should be an issue with rails or anything like that... kind of wonder if the whole system's 12 volt draw is a bit too much but that sounds unlikely with 850 watts. I hate to suggest trying a different power supply considering the expense, but considering how difficult it is to get 3090's right now it would probably be easier to test with a higher spec power supply first before going through the process of replacing the card.

If you like maybe try testing with your memory running stock instead of xmp, along with your processor running stock, just to reduce the chance of the two as potential instability points. It is possible if you have a heavy overclock running that you may be drawing more power than anticipated causing the combined load of cpu/gpu to trigger overcurrent protection

What is the quality of your power like, do you get brownouts frequently in the area? are you using an extension cord to plug in your computer? are you using a ups? Just asking because a lower input voltage may have your power supply producing less than the 850 watts it's rated for which would explain things somewhat. The 3080 and 3090 cards seem to be very sensitive to issues on the power supply side of things, and many people have reported similar issues to yours while using a PSU that should be more than sufficient

49 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

https://www.evga.com/products/Specs/PSU.aspx?pn=2f6f8f6b-caa9-4474-9e5a-dcba19e07a22
looking at their spec sheet it doesn't seem like it should be an issue with rails or anything like that... kind of wonder if the whole system's 12 volt draw is a bit too much but that sounds unlikely with 850 watts. I hate to suggest trying a different power supply considering the expense, but considering how difficult it is to get 3090's right now it would probably be easier to test with a higher spec power supply first before going through the process of replacing the card.

If you like maybe try testing with your memory running stock instead of xmp, along with your processor running stock, just to reduce the chance of the two as potential instability points. It is possible if you have a heavy overclock running that you may be drawing more power than anticipated causing the combined load of cpu/gpu to trigger overcurrent protection

What is the quality of your power like, do you get brownouts frequently in the area? are you using an extension cord to plug in your computer? are you using a ups? Just asking because a lower input voltage may have your power supply producing less than the 850 watts it's rated for which would explain things somewhat. The 3080 and 3090 cards seem to be very sensitive to issues on the power supply side of things, and many people have reported similar issues to yours while using a PSU that should be more than sufficient

Sorry I may have listed the RAM spec incorrectly as 3600, that's what its rated at but I'm running it and everything else stock. I'm just plugged into a surge protector and I don't really ever get brown outs. I was thinking it may be a case of my power supply not actually producing the 850 watts but according to the power supply calculator I checked today I should be using closer to 650w which would be a big difference. That said I hadn't found much about people with similar issues so maybe that in conjunction with the psu not being as powerful as advertised could do it. I guess I'll try to grab a 1000 watt, it had occurred to me to try unfortunately I wasn't seeing many in stock right now.

19 minutes ago, GeeButtersnaps said:

That said I hadn't found much about people with similar issues

Maybe I just crawl too many forums, I've seen multiple instances of people using PSU that are supposed to be more than enough having issues. Hopefully a simple swap out of power supply fixes your problem, I would advise you use the LTT power supply tier chart and pick something on the stronger side from the single rail section but either way I would try a higher wattage rating. Personally I've been using Seasonic lately, I really liked Corsair's high end modular PSU's ever since Haswell launched, but use your own discretion

4 minutes ago, Arrogath said:

Maybe I just crawl too many forums, I've seen multiple instances of people using PSU that are supposed to be more than enough having issues. Hopefully a simple swap out of power supply fixes your problem, I would advise you use the LTT power supply tier chart and pick something on the stronger side from the single rail section but either way I would try a higher wattage rating. Personally I've been using Seasonic lately, I really liked Corsair's high end modular PSU's ever since Haswell launched, but use your own discretion

I found a corsair RMx 1000w in stock Dec 3rd on amazon so I ordered that. While searching reddit someone brought up how Linus called this out specifically and recommended you go 20% more powerful than manufacturer recommended for these cards. What happens to his build is exactly what is happening to mine.