The time has come... my teenage daughter needs a laptop...

Posoroko

hello all, hope you are well!

So even though I don't want to pay for it, it's always a pleasure to make research to buy a computer. I live in France and I plan to spend no more than 600€ for a laptop that she wil use for streaming series, edit photos and don't forget!!! I buy it so she can do her homework!!! "but of course dad!!"...

She does some photography so phtotoshop will be installed...

My main question is: is it a good time to buy a laptop? I haven't been watching to much of the ltt videos lately but I've heard a few weeks back that a lot of things were changing in the world of processors... Should I wait? Maybe the 600€ price point is not concern with all the new things coming out...

I would like to hear your thaughts. For now, I'm thinking about buy the Honor magicbook 14 with a ryzen5 3500u and 8gb or ram.  I found good test results for it on the web...

hope to hear from you!

Eric

Personally I'd try to get a laptop with a 4000 series Ryzen processor, since they're much better on battery life and single-core performance.

It's confusing, but even though Desktop 3000-series processors like the Ryzen 3600X are built on AMD's 7nm 'Zen2' process, the laptop 3000 series processors are built on AMD's much older 12nm 'Zen1+' Process.

Ryzen 4000 is Zen2 on laptops.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

15 minutes ago, Posoroko said:

hello all, hope you are well!

So even though I don't want to pay for it, it's always a pleasure to make research to buy a computer. I live in France and I plan to spend no more than 600€ for a laptop that she wil use for streaming series, edit photos and don't forget!!! I buy it so she can do her homework!!! "but of course dad!!"...

She does some photography so phtotoshop will be installed...

My main question is: is it a good time to buy a laptop? I haven't been watching to much of the ltt videos lately but I've heard a few weeks back that a lot of things were changing in the world of processors... Should I wait? Maybe the 600€ price point is not concern with all the new things coming out...

I would like to hear your thaughts. For now, I'm thinking about buy the Honor magicbook 14 with a ryzen5 3500u and 8gb or ram.  I found good test results for it on the web...

hope to hear from you!

Eric

If you look hard you can probably find a laptop with a 

4600h and gtx 1650 (my new laptop is 450, and has those specs)

a 4700u

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

11 minutes ago, Downkey said:

If you look hard you can probably find a laptop with a 

4600h and gtx 1650 (my new laptop is 450, and has those specs)

a 4700u

what brand and model is it that you have bought?

15 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Personally I'd try to get a laptop with a 4000 series Ryzen processor, since they're much better on battery life and single-core performance.

It's confusing, but even though Desktop 3000-series processors like the Ryzen 3600X are built on AMD's 7nm 'Zen2' process, the laptop 3000 series processors are built on AMD's much older 12nm 'Zen1+' Process.

Ryzen 4000 is Zen2 on laptops.

ok that's good to know... I'll look it up. But prices tend to climb pretty fast...

Just now, Posoroko said:

is the 4000 series the newer series?

Newest AMD Laptop CPU line, yes.

Not to be confused with AMD's new Desktop CPUs, like the Ryzen 5600x, which are 5000 series and are based on the even better 'Zen 3' architecture.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4