My PC makes rattling sounds under load. Plz help me troubleshoot

jkuang180

Hi guys,

I have noticed my PC making rattling sounds in the past couple weeks. It sounded like coming from the CPU Cooler (Deepcool GAMMAXX GT black top), and this time I managed to shoot a video when it's doing it. Link to video

The sound isn't always there, even if I recreate the same scenario. And the noise is gone once the fan speed changed. This leads me to think it's caused by some kind of resonance. Also, when the CPU fan is running at full speed (1650rpm), I can feel it's trembling, and I can even feel some vibration from the graphics card's back plate.

Should I tighten the CPU cooler screws? I can still turn them tighter just with my finger, but I am worried that I will over tighten them and damage the mobo.

I am not sure what's the issue here, so I am hoping you guys can point me to the right direction. Thanks!

微信图片_20201115020353.jpg

I am not sure but, I think it might be caused by the heatsink itself. There is two likely scenarios

1. You cooler might have some issue. Something might be stuck between the heatsink cooler and the heatsink fan.
  2. As you said your heatsink might be too loose and it may be rattling because of that.

Anyways, it should be a easy fix. Just remove the heatsink, give it the good old cleaning and put it back properly.

well you should be sure where it is comming from, you could go into your bios setting and change your CPU cooler fan speed to max or the speed where you think the sound appears and hear if the sound appears. IF not try the other fans, GPU, SYS_Fans. 

BTW if it comes from your CPU cooler and after tighten the screws it is still there try to put rubber (Rubber bands) between the fan and the cooler. 

BTW your Case Fan in the back, those it pull or push the air? 

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite,  Ryzen 9 3900x, Dark Rock Pro 4, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix  RGB 3600 MHz CL16 RAM, RTX 3080 TI FE Watercooled, 6 Case Fans,  Fractal Design Meshify S2

You are awesome, stay safe and healthy.

6 hours ago, SamClan said:

well you should be sure where it is comming from, you could go into your bios setting and change your CPU cooler fan speed to max or the speed where you think the sound appears and hear if the sound appears. IF not try the other fans, GPU, SYS_Fans. 

BTW if it comes from your CPU cooler and after tighten the screws it is still there try to put rubber (Rubber bands) between the fan and the cooler. 

BTW your Case Fan in the back, those it pull or push the air? 

The case fan is pulling air out of the case.