Searching for a 4U Rack Case for Gaming

Jisagi
Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

If you dont' plan to overclock, you really don't need that much cooling, A nh d9l will work well here, and be more than enough for those chips stock, they really don't use that much power.

Is this going in a server rack? If so, just spin the fans faster as normally noise won't matter. Also depening on your rack, id stay away from anything that has side intakes.

I have a dual 2011 system in a. 4u case with some cheap deepcool coolers, and they work fine, and those chips use about the same power as a 5950x. You really don't need that much to run the chip at stock.

Hi, I'm currently buying everything for my new computer, but I'm kinda stuck with my desired case. I planed to use the SilverStone RM42-502, but here in Germany it's basically not byuable, because of the very bad availability. Buying it overseas directly costs me more shipping than the case itself. Therefore I'm searching an alternative to this case. The main selling point for me was the possibility to install a 240mm AIO into the case, because normal tower coolers, which I'd usually go for, like the NH-D15 or the Dark Rock Pro 4, are too high. A downdraft cooler like the Dark Rock TF, would be my only alternative if i cant install a "decent" AIO. The alternative I thought about was the SilverStone Grandia GD07B-C, which has 2x 120mm side instakes, but those can't hold a 240mm Radiator, because the MB is mounted too close to it.

My planed config is the following:

CPU: 5950X (which I was finally able to buy yesterday 🥰)

GPU: 6800XT

MB: MSI X570 Unify (ATX)

There are no additional components to be mounted into the case, no harddrives, frontpanels or diskdrives. An "ideal" case would be anything that can fit an ATX motherboard and an 240mm AIO. I did think about a small 120mm one, but I feel like this might not be enough for the cpu I chose. I do not plan to do any overclocking, so the main focus is just to keep the cpu cool (enough), so a full load over a prolonged period of time doesn't bring it to it's thermal limits.

I'd also be content with an explanation, that a certain downdraft Cooler or a 120mm AIO would be enough to cool it at least decently.

EDIT: I forgot to mention: The maximum length of any possible case cannot be more than 542mm, as my Rack doesn't support anything longer than that.

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11

If you dont' plan to overclock, you really don't need that much cooling, A nh d9l will work well here, and be more than enough for those chips stock, they really don't use that much power.

Is this going in a server rack? If so, just spin the fans faster as normally noise won't matter. Also depening on your rack, id stay away from anything that has side intakes.

I have a dual 2011 system in a. 4u case with some cheap deepcool coolers, and they work fine, and those chips use about the same power as a 5950x. You really don't need that much to run the chip at stock.

6 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thank you very much for the insights you provided. If that really is enough, than this solves the whole problem. Using a side intake is absolutely stupid because of a Rack mount, I really didn't think this case through enough :D. I will search for a fitting case with decent front intake w/o too many drive cage stuff in the front.

The NH-D9L looks very good and even lets me mount a second fan onto it. The cooler seems to be enough for even higher wattage/usage cpus. The plan is to get one and mount a second NF-A9 to it. That should be more than enough for usage at stock as it seems.

Now I can finally finish this up and wait for the new Radeon gpus. Thank you!

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 5950x | 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz | XFX Reference 6800 XT | MSI Unify X570 | Corsair MP600 2TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB | bequiet 850W Straight Power 11

Server: Ryzen 5 3600 | 4x32GB DDR4 ECC 2400MHz | Asrock Rack X470D4U | Samsung EVO Plus 250GB, 6x Seagate Exos 8TB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB | bequiet 550W Straight Power 11