Tinkering an AIO into a MSI Trident X - possible?

DudefromHamburg

Hi there,

due to fortunate circumstances with my employer im able to get a brand new MSI Trident X System. It will be delivered in about 3 Weeks.

Usually i would avoid any SI-Systems, but in this case i had to buy it. And, well about 3 days after i ordered, it dawned on me. What about noise? I´ve read some mixed reviews about the noise-level and mine will come with a 10700k, which i cant just run @stock ...this would be an insult... so if this gets loud even while i did not touch it... well i have to act. Also, i want to tinker on this case. Its so tiny and cute :D.

But overall i value silence over performance, so if an OC would bring my fans to the max, i´d rather go for an undervolt than an overclock.

First order of buisness was to get some Images to map out potential options what to mod.

(c) to the user MatrixMoments from Reddit for the following pictures, but they are great.

https://imgur.com/a/QtVH8j9

https://imgur.com/a/YbeBbcI

My first idea was to externalize a small 120mm AIO. It seems you could mount an AIO with top-directional leading tubes (like ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240). Then you could either remove or mod the mesh placed in the non tempered glass door to route the tubes outside and then "mount" the rad on the outside door and the tubes would lead inside  shaped like a C.  This would free up space for some decent RAM. Nothig wrong with the green candy bars, but i´d love to transplant my current Ram into it. But i think it wont clear with the default Cooler..

I would admit, this would rather look like an PC on life support than a cool clean mod, but i admire @AlexTheGreatish,  so i dont mind a certain degree of jankyness.

But if anyone has any other cool ideas or possible solutions for my theoretical noise problem, im open to anything really. But lets start with my concerns according this solution

- will the AIO-Tubes be long enough mount the rad outside?

- if so, will the tubing be flexible enough to reach this kind of 180° degree bend im aiming for.

- if you were to own this case, how would you solve a potential noise problem.

my second approach was to a) keep the tempered glass side panel but b) still improve  the system. the only idea i had was to kinda extend the case with a frame of some kind to get some more height clearance between the CPU-Fan and the enclosure. Maybe some kind of plexiglass or some other transparent or semitransparent material. This would open up some fun options to illuminate the frame...

A single 120mm AIO probably won't get you much better performance than the stock cooler. I can't see it working super well without doing it for dirty and having a larger rad hanging out of the case, or a NH-D15 with the side panel open

Hey Alex, did not expect you to reply. pleasant suprise.

but yeah, i guess a single 120m Rad would only (best case) give me a slight noise improvement. But i saw Alphacools Eiswand (Icewall), and though how about custom loop with an external rad/pump/res Case which could be transferd to any future builds.

open panel is too risky, i tend to spill stuff...a lot and i guess the D-15´s base might be too mighty this. thats why i wante the heatsink as small as possible.

Moin,

someone did something like this a while back on Reddit. He swapped both PSU and CPU cooler. I didn‘t go through the entire thread for results, but according to OP it was a PITA. 

Hope the link works as it‘s copied from the App. Best of luck with this project!