Can somebody help me?

Liam-McShane

I have an assignment for college that needs this task completed. Our teacher has not taught us how to do it nor will he bother to help us when we ask. Can somebody on here explain to me how to do it. I will quote the task below.

"Clans are common in many online games where players join forces to defeat a foe or achieve a common goal. The lifespan of clan depends upon many things such as how many players are attracted to it and how many players “die” in the game. A formula for population is Xt+1 = K Xt (1-Xt) where: K is the growth rate of the clan and Xt is the proportion of the clan left alive to start the following day. Use Excel to produce a graph showing the first 20 days of the clan’s life."

K= 3.25

Xt=0.45

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks  :)

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

dam if that what i have to look forwart to in high school ill be pissed

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Honestly, it's pretty simple and the answers you're looking for are in your post. Just make a simple graph with the first 20 days like he mentioned using X as life (clan dying) and K as the "good" ratio, which keeps the clan alive.

Ex. K = 2, Xt=0.3

(if total clan life is 0)

Clan grew by 2, but lost 0.3. Total growth: 1.7.

Left alive = 1.7.

Day 2:

K = 1, Xt = 0.5

Growth: 0,5. Clan size: 2,2

The equation is pretty simple but how on earth do you do it in excel

CPU: Phenom 1090T, Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 RAM: Generic 8GB 1600MHz GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 HDDs: 2 Scavenged 160GB drives (I lost my 500GB one and I don't know how) SSD: Samsung 840 evo120GB  OS: Windows 7 Case: Bitfenix merc beta PSU: Corsair CX 600W

K is constant and the original X is 0.45. You calculate the next day with that formula and continue except X will become the current day's value rather than original.

Honestly, it's pretty simple and the answers you're looking for are in your post. Just make a simple graph with the first 20 days like he mentioned using X as life (clan dying) and K as the "good" ratio, which keeps the clan alive.

Ex. K = 2, Xt=0.3

(if total clan life is 0)

Clan grew by 2, but lost 0.3. Total growth: 1.7.

Left alive = 1.7.

Day 2:

K = 1, Xt = 0.5

Growth: 0,5. Clan size: 2,2

Lol vaerk answered this for ya, as I was typing it up. 

I'm surrounded by math but I suck at it... I am not a smart man.... 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Perhaps i should have been more specific (sorry guys). Basically we need to do the equation in excel to produce the table/chart but we have never been taught how to use Excel so we don't have a clue how to do it.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

Perhaps i should have been more specific (sorry guys). Basically we need to do the equation in excel to produce the table/chart but we have never been taught how to use Excel so we don't have a clue how to do it.

Basically works like a silly calculator.

http://spreadsheets.about.com/od/excel2007/ss/excel2007_forma.htm

= A1 * 10

will take the value in A1 and multiple by 10.

= 1 - A1

will subtract A1 from 1.

Tips: you can copy and paste a cell and excel will adjust the "A1" part relative to where it was originally copied.

Excel sucks.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Its really simple, though I don't want to give a straight answer. Its better if you are shown the basic elements and experiment :P

If you still need help, I explained it real quick in this excel doc: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2yktit1blxao5w6/What%20you%20want.xlsx

Actually I kinda did it for ya. But I still explained the steps

Life saver! Thank you

Excel sucks.

Feel your pain!

CPU: Phenom 1090T, Motherboard: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 RAM: Generic 8GB 1600MHz GPU: MSI Radeon R9 270 HDDs: 2 Scavenged 160GB drives (I lost my 500GB one and I don't know how) SSD: Samsung 840 evo120GB  OS: Windows 7 Case: Bitfenix merc beta PSU: Corsair CX 600W

Excel sucks.

Excel is pretty powerful though if you need to go through loads of data in a short amount of time.

Excel is pretty powerful though if you need to go through loads of data in a short amount of time.

pen & paper > everything

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

pen & paper > everything

- Said no one on LinusTechTips ever; a website dedicated to the PC and its computational prowess

haha, not hatin', just playin'