Pono

Laptopgamer

I was just wondering how many of you might have come across this kickstarter campaign: 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1003614822/ponomusic-where-your-soul-rediscovers-music?ref=discovery

I found it quite interesting, it will basically be a new mp3/ipod which is designed to play music at maximum quality (FLAC/lossless) and accompany a new online store, ponomusic, where said music will be purchased. Obviously lossless audio is already available, but the idea here I think is to create a large, simple, online store and an easy way of listening to the music via portable device.

The campaign has been going for just under 24 hours (I think (?)) and has already doubled it's stretch goal, it is currently the most popular project on Kickstarter and is likely to raise a huge amount more within the next month.

So what are your opinions on this, and is it worth $300? Thanks :)

WIMP HIFI <3

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I have a very strong feeling that theese guys will be sued by apple if they actually make any form of success.... (due to the looks of the front of the device)

I also wonder how thay got an interview with all of those musicians... And what is wrong with FLAC?

And what is wrong with FLAC?

Nothing, its just that its no better then any codec with a 256kbps+ bit rate for playback. Making it pointless, and by proxy any player built on the ideas of playing back those lossless codecs equally pointless. 

Though if the device legitimately outperforms (in terms of outputting specs) other products it can be justified. 

Nothing, its just that its no better then any codec with a 256kbps+ bit rate for playback. Making it pointless, and by proxy any player built on the ideas of playing back those lossless codecs equally pointless. 

Though if the device legitimately outperforms (in terms of outputting specs) other products it can be justified. 

Are you suggesting that my FLACs won't sound as good as crappy 320kbps songs with my Beets?

cus u rong

i cn heard the difference with my ipod headphones 

the best part is half the people that buy this are going to use it with some piece of shit earbuds or headphones. 

Error: 410

Are you suggesting that my FLACs won't sound as good as crappy 256kbps songs with my Beets?

I'm suggesting that you upgrade to Carrots before worrying about codecs and bitrates. 

I'm suggesting that you upgrade to Carrots before worrying about codecs and bitrates.

pass, I'm allergic to unstylish suck that my favorite organic media producing products don't laminate their name on

[the pono] is about you hearing what we hear

no assumptions made here at all, this product will bring my beets to perfection.

while we're on the topic, where's @MayflowerElectronics been I haven't seen him dunk anyone in a while.

Spotify Premium on high quality gives me 320 kbps MP3 on my phone, good enough. Only thing I can say that is bad is the battery life on my Lumia 920 with automatically updated email and snapchat, but with battery saving mode, I'll squeeze several hours out of 20% power. and I send like 20-30 snaps per day.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I can't dunk I'm too short.

I think everyone already knows my thoughts on FLAC. I'm not sure why people use anything other than their smartphone? I though people stopped carrying around MP3 players back in 2007.

So are some of you saying that this product is quite pointless, that "The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions" page is wrong in recommending FLACS, and also that all the people in the campaign video are hearing a "placebo" difference?

No aggressive argument intended, just curious...

So are some of you saying that this product is quite pointless, that "The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions" page is wrong in recommending FLACS, and also that all the people in the campaign video are hearing a "placebo" difference?

That's my personal experience at least.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Uh. There's already something like that at half the price.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996716-REG/fiio_x_3_x3_music_player.html

Also, my phone is perfectly fine for music so I wouldn't spend money on an mp3 player. Although I do use lossless files because my phone is 64GB and there is nothing else I need the storage for. 

Yep, pretty much.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

"The Audio Board's Frequently Asked Questions" page is wrong in recommending FLACS

Where does the FAQ recommend FLAC?

1) I wouldn't go as far as to say pointless. If it does what they technically claim it does, it is a useful product in some regards -if- I stress the IF, it can play FLAC without little to no coloring. However, the way it's being marketed is a lie by omission. A perfect copy of a song is useless as dirt if A) you can't even hear the difference B) the amplifier isn't flat C) you don't already have the equipment to make A and B relevant in the form of linear headphones or with a response you like (which already defeats a sticking point of the device, so lolwhatever). 

D) If a muse across the world sings to you in a perfect voice E) with a perfect microphone, F) the transmission must be perfect, G) and the instrument to reproduce must be perfect, and at the light of the tunnel, H) your ear must be perfect 

if you listen through a walkie talkie, D, E, F and H are null. If you have poor transmission (terrible amp(s) 300$ product, I would be skeptical) then D, E, G, and H are null. If you don't have a "trained earD, E, F and G are null. 

The distinct omission I'm talking about is, to paraphrase, "the pono will let you hear what we hear" 

This kind of marketing leads many people to believe that this will somehow make their Beets, Bose, Skullcand'eh's, Apple eardicks, and I'd go as far as to say even most mainstream 'audiyafile' grade equipment, sound better when in fact it will be nothing more than a 300$ upgrade to your own imagination. 

2) The FAQ is not really a bible for here. It is maintained by the one person that writes it, if that's what it states, that is their opinion. 

this does not require a very high understanding of audio at all. This is intended for an extremely niche market; a large market (to whom this will be useless) that does not fit in that niche is being targeted. 

Internalize this, because you didn't just make me throw away 15 minutes of study time for a test I'm woefully unprepared for. 

Thanks Helping for an awesomely detailed response, that certainly cleared up a few things I was slightly confused about, and might just have saved me $300 xD. It's totally crazy that so many supposedly "great music personalities/celebrities etc" would recommend this however I am highly convinced by your response, which matches up with all of the other opinions here.

Internalize this, because you didn't just make me throw away 15 minutes of study time for a test I'm woefully unprepared for. 

And good luck with that test  ;)

How is this Pono mp3 any different than say, a Fiio X3 or a Clip Zip? They made it sound like it'll blow you away with its 'really good' sound quality, even when hooked up to your car stereo. And the number of artists they've interviewed is just unbeliveable..though some of it is quite cringeworthy and sounded like an asslicking at best.

How is this Pono mp3 any different than say, a Fiio X3 or a Clip Zip? They made it sound like it'll blow you away with its 'really good' sound quality, even when hooked up to your car stereo. And the number of artists they've interviewed is just unbeliveable..though some of it is quite cringeworthy and sounded like an asslicking at best.

likely not much

"here, review this product and if we choose your review to feature in our ad, you will be compensated. it makes things sound good, don't worry about why"

people also often forget that musicians are musicians, not scientists. 

If you sell me something on a technical basis, I want science, not feels. 

helping, on 13 Mar 2014 - 06:04 AM, said:

people also often forget that musicians are musicians, not scientists. 

If you sell me something on a technical basis, I want science, not feels. 

^This. They don't really provide that much technical information of the player which is weird and a bit shady. I guess they look quite convincing because of the famous figures and artists behind that whole Pono project.

Also, i feel that you are paying more for that exclusive music service of the PonoMusic site and the artist signature that comes with the it rather than a really quality components used and massive functionality of the player.

'Should you invest in a PonoPlayer? If you want to experience your music, feel its soul, and have it run through your veins, then PonoMusic is for you'... :lol:

I'll probably be picking one up in a little while. 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

I think that there are equivalent and more portable options for much less. I'll be fine using my Nexus 5 for audio. The only thing that sucks is that 4.4 KitKat disabled usb audio out. So if I ever do want to get a portable amp/dac, a 3.5mm cable I will have to use.

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

This one is backed by Neil Young, so clearly its better, I get the feeling that's the only reason this is a thing.