Lens Recommendations for Canon M200 for streaming

Skiiwee29

So I bought a Canon M200 to use for my streaming setup and need a lens to go with it. Looking to have a narrower field of view, I use a green screen so I don't need/want wide angle. Camera will be 2ft or less away from me. I also have an adapter for it so I'm not limited to the EF-M lenses. I know very little when it comes to Lenses as I just recently got into cameras with my purchase of the Rebel T7 so still learning a lot. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

How much can you afford to spend? The Canon 50mm f1.8 is great, and cheaper if you don't mind a bit of chromatic aberration is the Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 - a knockoff but a really good one.

This is going to be pretty narrow, though, crop factor will basically give you an 85mm lens. Maybe look into the Yongnuo 35mm f2, since the canon version is literally 6 times the price. 

Another great option is to find a vintage 35mm lens, I've seen them as wide as 1.4 and still reasonably sharp, which is nice. They're also absurdly cheap, but you will have to buy an adapter. Sometimes you can get away with 3d-printing them.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

How much can you afford to spend? The Canon 50mm f1.8 is great, and cheaper if you don't mind a bit of chromatic aberration is the Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 - a knockoff but a really good one.

This is going to be pretty narrow, though, crop factor will basically give you an 85mm lens. Maybe look into the Yongnuo 35mm f2, since the canon version is literally 6 times the price. 

Another great option is to find a vintage 35mm lens, I've seen them as wide as 1.4 and still reasonably sharp, which is nice. They're also absurdly cheap, but you will have to buy an adapter. Sometimes you can get away with 3d-printing them.

The Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 is one I saw and was looking at on Amazon. Glad to know I'm looking in the right direction! Looking at the Yongnuo 85 f2, seems to be to short a focal point? only 0.8ft for its maximum distance?? At least according to its Amazon listing, but I probably am not reading it or understanding it correctly. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

38 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

The Yongnuo 50mm f1.8 is one I saw and was looking at on Amazon. Glad to know I'm looking in the right direction! Looking at the Yongnuo 85 f2, seems to be to short a focal point? only 0.8ft for its maximum distance?? At least according to its Amazon listing, but I probably am not reading it or understanding it correctly. 

Yeah I think that might be the minimum distance. 

Your camera has an APS-C sensor, which introduces a crop factor of 1.6x. In terms of field of view, any lens will look about 60% more zoomed in. A 35mm lens becomes a 55, a 50 becomes an 80, an 85 becomes a 135...

So I'd say try to get the Yongnuo 35mm f2. That'll basically give you a 50mm prime lens after taking into account the crop factor. Much more versatile than the 85mm you get when you use the Canon or Yongnuo 50mm f1.8. The 35mm f2 has a little more chromatic aberration and is less sharp at its widest aperture, but it's not an enormous difference - still a very good lens. If you had to get one prime for an APS-C camera, this would be it.

An amazing youtube channel for detailed lens comparisons is Christopher Frost.

If you don't have much money and want a lens that can just do a lot, then I would recommend one of the cheap 16-50mm f2.8 lenses. f2.8 is still a wide enough aperture for low-light shooting and bokeh, and it remains wide through the entire 16-50mm zoom range, which for you will be a 25-80mm lens; great range. I know Sigma makes a really nice cheap one that even has autofocus and stabilization.

@Aereldor I do have a Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens that ill likely use in the interim. This one specifically, Came with my Rebel T7 kit.

https://smile.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-II-White/dp/B009P6BXR4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=18-55mm+canon+lense&sr=8-5

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

7 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

@Aereldor I do have a Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens that ill likely use in the interim. This one specifically, Came with my Rebel T7 kit.

https://smile.amazon.com/Canon-18-55mm-3-5-5-6-II-White/dp/B009P6BXR4/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=18-55mm+canon+lense&sr=8-5

Yeah, that one's okay, but it's not a constant aperture lens. Which means it can only do f3.5 at 18mm but at 35mm it's likely stuck at f4. Which isn't bad, but you might start to run out of light etc.

If you're rolling with the kit lens, I'd keep it pretty wide, If you want it cropped maybe just put it closer.