"Burn marks" on cpu block

So im cleaning my loop today for the first time and everything looks good.
But i thought that i should swap the thermalpaste and also see if i did it right the first time and find this "burnmark" ? on the block (the cpu looks fine) so i cleaned off the paste and the mark won't  come off.

thermalpaste used is Arctic MX-2, and i did clean the block before installing it.
temps have been fine (never over 60c i5 3570k at 4.2)

ideas?
should i just put the loop back together ?

F8ugEFa.jpg

I think that's pretty normal.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

use some  isopropylalcohol it and see if if it gets removed, looks to be some thermal paste thats stuck on it.

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

use some  isopropylalcohol it and see if if it gets removed, looks to be some thermal paste thats stuck on it.

That totally was not copy pasted :P

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

That totally was not copy pasted :P

:D didnt know how to spell that and it had some weird font on it

couldnt bother to set it to normal font :)

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

:D didnt know how to spell that and it had some weird font on it

couldnt bother to set it to normal font :)

Remove formatting button is your best friend :D

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

isopropylalcohol it and see if if it gets removed, looks to be some thermal paste thats stuck on it.

thats a pretty decent solution

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

hit it with some iso. alcohol, I've never seen this on any of my heatsinks.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Thanks!
Well then that seems easy  :lol: il do that and if it dosent burn or drown there will be pics later (somewhere on the site sneak sneak hides it in a corner. )

It is probably just etching from the paste. Pretty normal. Clean the best you can, it will not effect performance.

So im cleaning my loop today for the first time and everything looks good.

But i thought that i should swap the thermalpaste and also see if i did it right the first time and find this "burnmark" ? on the block (the cpu looks fine) so i cleaned off the paste and the mark won't  come off.

thermalpaste used is Arctic MX-2, and i did clean the block before installing it.

it is a stain from the reaction of the paste, cold plate material and the CPU IHS.

usually a vinegar bath and/or scotch-brite pad will remove the satin. also Brasso

compound might also do the trick without damage.

That is normal as everyone has stated. You can use 90-100% isopropyl alcohol or lemon juice to remove it. You can also just re-apply your preferred TIM and continue using the block, performance is not affected. 

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

You can also try super fine sandpaper if you're feeling perfectionist.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!