Cisco Catalyst 3750g factory reset

BOBWARPATH

I recently got ahold of 2 cisco catalyst 3750g's that I want to use in my home server setup. What I did not get however was the console cable, and I cannot seem to get anything that I plug in to be able to see each other over the ethernet. for example: I plugged in my ethernet from my router going into port 1, and my desktop plugged into port 2 gets no connection. Change over to my Extreme networks switch, works fine. Does anyone know how to fix this or how to wipe this without the console cable? I really wanna use it, all ports go green and it can tell its linked to the other 3750, but no internet between thingsCisco Catalyst 3750G-24TS-1U Switch - Cisco

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/hardware/quick/guide/3750GSG3.html#wp46478

Resetting the Switch

This section describes how to reset the switch by rerunning Express Setup. These are reasons why you might want to reset the switch:

blank.gifYou installed the switch in your network and cannot connect to it because you assigned the incorrect IP address.

blank.gifYou want to clear all configuration from the switch and assign a new IP address.

blank.gifYou are trying to enter Express Setup mode, and the switch LEDs start blinking when you press the Mode button (which means that the switch is already configured with IP information).

caut.gif

Caution blank.gifResetting the switch deletes the configuration and reboots the switch.

To reset the switch:

blank.gifPress and hold the Mode button. The switch LEDs begin blinking after about 3 seconds. Continue holding down the Mode button. The LEDs stop blinking after 7 more seconds, and then the switch reboots.

The switch now behaves like an unconfigured switch. You can enter the switch IP information by using Express Setup as described in the "Running Express Setup" section.

Just now, BOBWARPATH said:

I am totally gonna go try this in a bit. Thank you!

In terms of setting it up after resetting, I'm not sure if it will have a default IP or if you'll need the console cable to run initial config. Either way, worth picking one up from eBay or somewhere if you're going to be using the switches as they're not expensive. 

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

In terms of setting it up after resetting, I'm not sure if it will have a default IP or if you'll need the console cable to run initial config. Either way, worth picking one up from eBay or somewhere if you're going to be using the switches as they're not expensive. 

I got a whole full server rack from gordman's liquidation auction, and they didnt wipe anything, so still sorting things out and getting rid of their settings and stuff. https://musickauction.hibid.com/lot/74556229/tripp-lite-rack-mount-console---loaded-with-server?ipp=100&auto=trueTripp Lite Rack Mount Console - Loaded With Server

3 minutes ago, BOBWARPATH said:

I got a whole full server rack from gordman's liquidation auction, and they didnt wipe anything, so still sorting things out and getting rid of their settings and stuff. https://musickauction.hibid.com/lot/74556229/tripp-lite-rack-mount-console---loaded-with-server?ipp=100&auto=true-snip-

Oh nice. Even just he rack itself and the 1u console is worth having. I like how there's a phone in the rack.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

Oh nice. Even just he rack itself and the 1u console is worth having. I like how there's a phone in the rack.

yeah there is a full VOIP in there, no idea how to work it tho. And also should I remove the stack cables from the back

when I do the reset?

2 minutes ago, BOBWARPATH said:

yeah there is a full VOIP in there, no idea how to work it tho. And also should I remove the stack cables from the back

when I do the reset?

Shouldn't matter, but removing them wouldn't hurt anything.

12 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Shouldn't matter, but removing them wouldn't hurt anything.

yeah I got it to reset, now the fan speed is cranked up all the way on it and none of the ethernet connectivity lights are turning on. Only light that is on is the light in the top left and it's blinking fast. Think I'm probably gonna need that console cable after all.

yeah I got it to reset, now the fan speed is cranked up all the way on it and none of the ethernet connectivity lights are turning on. Only light that is on is the light in the top left and it's blinking fast. Think I'm probably gonna need that console cable after all.

Yah, if I remember my old Catalyst switches right the 3k doesn't have any web ui by default.

If you need help just tag me :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, if I remember my old Catalyst switches right the 3k doesn't have any web ui by default.

If you need help just tag me :)

will do. Once I get that cable I'll have to figure out how in lord's name you even interract with that thing. I think you need putty or something. New to this server stuff. 

will do. Once I get that cable I'll have to figure out how in lord's name you even interract with that thing. I think you need putty or something. New to this server stuff. 

Yah, putty is easiest :)

When you console in and if you're at rommon> then try to type in 'boot' without quotes and that should boot the switch off the first image it finds on the bootflash. From there you'll need to configure it to a basic level since the ports might be down. I can whip you up a basic config to get you started tomorrow.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, putty is easiest :)

When you console in and if you're at rommon> then try to type in 'boot' without quotes and that should boot the switch off the first image it finds on the bootflash. From there you'll need to configure it to a basic level since the ports might be down. I can whip you up a basic config to get you started tomorrow.

Yeah I don't need anything fancy, just need it to be able to do what any normal switch should. Just gotta go get that cable though. I plan to just get an rj45 to serial cable, and I'll use my IBM X3650 M3 to install putty on. 

Yeah I don't need anything fancy, just need it to be able to do what any normal switch should. Just gotta go get that cable though. I plan to just get an rj45 to serial cable, and I'll use my IBM X3650 M3 to install putty on. 

Yah, so long as you have something to accept serial then you're good, otherwise there are console to USB cables or just serial to USB :)

If you don't plan on doing much with it then that's pretty easy to setup. The biggest thing is I can't remember if the 3000 series switches have ports in shutdown state (forced down) by default or not. I don't think they do so if you don't need any vlans then they should plug up just fine without issue but it's always good to have a minimal configuration on there just to make sure.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, so long as you have something to accept serial then you're good, otherwise there are console to USB cables or just serial to USB :)

If you don't plan on doing much with it then that's pretty easy to setup. The biggest thing is I can't remember if the 3000 series switches have ports in shutdown state (forced down) by default or not. I don't think they do so if you don't need any vlans then they should plug up just fine without issue but it's always good to have a minimal configuration on there just to make sure.

None of the ports came on when I did the reset, they all stayed off even though I had an internet connection from a router plugged into it, and my 3 servers plugged in. Let it sit for 2-3 mins, nothing

None of the ports came on when I did the reset, they all stayed off even though I had an internet connection from a router plugged into it, and my 3 servers plugged in

Yah, it might be in rommon then or it's booted but the fans being stuck on high has me thinking it's in rommon mode (basically it might blast bits and nothing more). Once you get the console cable though I'm curious :D

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, it might be in rommon then or it's booted but the fans being stuck on high has me thinking it's in rommon mode (basically it might blast bits and nothing more). Once you get the console cable though I'm curious :D

I'll definately keep you informed. Gotta order one from ebay, or we also plan to check a local electronics store near us.